Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
earthyvirgo

Idea for a tasty lamb dish needed

It's my Mum's 93rd birthday on Thursday and I want to make a lunchtime meal at their house. This means prep in advance here in my own kitchen as Mum's lack of sharp knives drives me potty and I make a bit of a mess when I cook which would make Dad fret.

I'm going to make a plum and marzipan tarte tatin for pud but want to make something with Welsh lamb as the main - something I can make tomorrow and re-heat at Mum's.

Any thoughts - traditional, non-spicy ideas very welcome.

Thanks, EV
Pilsbury

Long slow roast with mint and then reheat in gravy once your there.
Serve with new pots and veg or salad is equally nice
dpack

on a similar theme pot roast ,add the new spuds at the reheating at mum's stage.

the advantage of that is the gravy is made, assorted veg are in the pot and there is little "mess"at the point of use.with a side salad and some mint sauce it is quick and tidy.

ps i remember the knife issue and hid one away for such times Wink
Pilsbury

Very similar, we do ours in the slow cooker on a bed of veg which gets roasted when we flash the meat to crisp up the outside but we dont put anything liquid wise in the slowwcooker, i guess a glass of red would make the base forca great sauce
Nell Merionwen

Cawl! Traditional and non spicy.
earthyvirgo

Very similar, we do ours in the slow cooker on a bed of veg which gets roasted when we flash the meat to crisp up the outside but we dont put anything liquid wise in the slowwcooker, i guess a glass of red would make the base forca great sauce

This sounds like I don't know how to cook (I do, but as a long time veggie, I'm still not over confident on the meat front) but do you flash the meat at the beginning, or end with lid off.

I do like lamb fat to be a bit crispy Smile

EV
Pilsbury

End, if you do it at the stsrt the humidity in the slow cooker will just soften it all up.
We slow cook for about 5 hours then put the meat into a roasting tray, drain the veg thst it was sitting on and usecthe juice for gravy but the veg goes in the hot oven with the meat to crisp the lot.
We normally put it n while we serve evefyfhing else into dishes for the table but you csn roast it at home, cool it and use the hot oven to reheat
robkb

Something traditional and Welsh, so probably not from M & S (re your Twitter feed Wink )
earthyvirgo

Something traditional and Welsh, so probably not from M & S (re your Twitter feed Wink )

Yes Smile
I wasn't impressed.

I'm heading to Morrisons in a tick. I know they have Welsh meat.

EV
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home