Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Bodrighy

Ideas needed

Last September I went self employed, more through necessity than desire as I had been made redundant and couldn't sign on and continue selling my work. Point is I am so much better at making things than selling them and after being poked and prodded out of my ostrich mentality by a member on here (long overdue I might add) I am in need of advice regarding marketing. I have a couple of online stores at Etsy, Folksy etc and a non selling website. However these are never going to pull in enough trade to cover anything more than my expenses. I am open to advice and direction form other people who have gone this route even though I am sure that some of it may not be exactly what I want to hear. I can't teach (even though I have a Cert Ed) as my workspace isn't suitable at the moment so that direction is out. Help required (Thanks for the advice received already, that will be followed up..... and the kick up the jacksy)

pete
jamanda

Sally-in-Wales has gone a long way down this road, but she's on her hols at the moment. I'm sure other people will have advice too, but I'd make sure you bump this thread when she gets back on line.

Have you tried Ravelry for the special crochet hooks etc you make?
Mr O

Pete, it might be useful to tell everyone what you do and what you sell?
Bodrighy

Mr O wrote:
Pete, it might be useful to tell everyone what you do and what you sell?

Sorry, I assumed people knew. I am a woodturner and lately I have been doing a lot of things for other crafters. My personal preference is rustic work incorporating natural wood and turned wood. My aim is to try and make the mundane things we use into things of beauty as well.

pete
T.G

Pete makes amongst a host of other things, fabulous wooden pestle and mortar, and thoughtfully made wooden buttons Very Happy
Bodrighy

Jamanda wrote:

This looks like a forum, how would they react to a man coming on and touting for business?
jema

I think probably a majority of traders on this site need major help with marketing and would probably benefit from partnerships with people who can do the things they are simply not cut out to do.
Bodrighy

The.Grange wrote:
Pete makes amongst a host of other things, fabulous wooden pestle and mortar, and thoughtfully made wooden buttons Very Happy
love4

Pete Laughing
jamanda

Bodrighy wrote:
Jamanda wrote:

This looks like a forum, how would they react to a man coming on and touting for business?

It's an absolutely enormous site with many links to shops and businesses. Not quite sure how it works for that side of things, again I think Sally would know, I think she sells patterns on there.
Bodrighy

Thanks Jamanda, I'll keep an eye open for her. Need to talk anyway as she was going to take some of my buttons to see how they sell.

I'll register with Ravelry and have a look around and see what it is about in the meantime

Pete
Went

Are there galleries around that might be able to exhibit and sell your work on a commission basis? or a few crafts folk you know getting together and trying to arrange a show of fair key points in the year?

Ebay is worth a try. Blogs are great we get 1500 hits a week from our Spanish craft blog and it generates lots of enquiries. We can also promote our presence at fairs etc.
mihto

Bodrighy wrote:
Jamanda wrote:

You have been around for quite some time and participated in many a discussion. We have seen pictures of your work and admired the quiet elegance. I can only speak for myself, but I would love to give you any advice I could.

Only a few days ago there was a piece in our local newspaper asking why it was so hard to find decent souvenirs in this town. We are celebrationg 150 years aniversary as a twon during all of 2010 and we are expecting, among other things, several cruise ships full of international tourist. Put your website and more info on the thread or on a PM, and I'll contact the right people and point them your way. Some of your stuff may be what they are looking for.

Better than Chinese plastic trolls Evil or Very Mad
bagpuss

Have you tried Etsy or Folksy, these are sites specifically for selling hand made items
Bodrighy

I have work in two galleries down here in Cornwall but don't sell a lot through them. I have shops with Etsy, Folksy and Misi and sell some of the craft supplies, drop spindles, crochet hooks etc but not much else.

Mihto I'll PM you with the addresses for the shops and website , thanks for the offer, much appreciated.
Calli

Use ebay as a search tool to direct enquiries to your websites

It is a massive database of a market place.

Think keywords.
Tavascarow

Have you tried aproaching the Eden Project?
They are very keen on locally sourced & sustainable goods.
Smile
Cathryn

I am not an expert but I imagine you could build up good bread and butter trade making items such as those for the craft market. Everyone who enjoys crafting would undoubtedly want to own lovely tools to do it. I also think there is a market for bespoke items but you need to find that market.

Your one off individual bowls are lovely. I imagine that you are continually refining the way you work but they will take leg work to sell and won't feed you for awhile yet. Get that advice. Wink Check out Robin Wood's links. They might suggest good contacts.

Your website could do with being refined (it's not a criticism), it's your show case. There are people on here who are experts at such things, I wonder if there is any bespoke wood work that you could barter with them? Personally I would love to eat off wood but I have a hectic lifestyle that requires slinging things into the dishwasher. One day when there are fewer people in the house.

Ideas - could be wildly wrong, other crafts people share similar marketing problems and will happily share solutions I imagine.
mousjoos

I used to offer turning as a service to several local kitchen firms & other cabinet makers; it wasn't only to supplement my income as a cabinet maker, but made me known within the local circle of trades.
If you can offer a service within a certain sector, it's always a good thing; however I realise that "craft" & "trade" are not the same.
If you dont fancy repetitive work, & would prefer "one-offs" & commissions, then it's a choice you have to make.... I just used to think "cashflow"

Every good wish for whatever you decide
Tavascarow

Also buying old tools with worn or wormed handles at local auctions where they often sell for pennies & tarting them up for resale with new turned bespoke handles?
I've just purchased a Draw Knife that I was going to ask you to put new handles on sometime.
If this one had nice oiled beech or fruit wood handles it would have made twice the money.
Tavascarow

mousjoos wrote:
I used to offer turning as a service to several local kitchen firms & other cabinet makers; it wasn't only to supplement my income as a cabinet maker, but made me known within the local circle of trades.
If you can offer a service within a certain sector, it's always a good thing; however I realise that "craft" & "trade" are not the same.
If you dont fancy repetitive work, & would prefer "one-offs" & commissions, then it's a choice you have to make.... I just used to think "cashflow"

Every good wish for whatever you decide

Maybe aproach kitchen firms & ask them if you can display some of your pieces (with price tag) in their show rooms.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home