Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
RichardW

Ideas or solutions wanted, Now with bucket modification pics

I am in the middle of ditching the edge of our woods that runs down the road. Over the years it has been used as a fly tipping site. Our first plan was to dig all the ditches & then get a contractor to come along with a tipper & clamshell grab to remove it all. Then we though we would buy a tipper & grab (or hire one) & do it ourself. The costs would be the same but we would save on the wages & company profits.

Today I went to the local company & was shocked that
a, they dont have a grab lorry
b, the local tip is now only taking council waste
c, the nearest tip is 2 & 1/2 hours away by lorry
d, the tip wants £80 per ton if I take it
e, the company wants £98 per ton to take it

So I am now stuck with a lot of soil with glass, plastic, steel, carpet, tins & other junk mixed in it.

I am now considering a vibrating screen or a rotating screen to sepperate the junk out of the soil. Also considered a stone / riddle bucket for the digger. All of these are quite costly options.

There is too much to hand fill feed sacks & take to the local recycling depo without removing the soil first.

Inc soil pro about 50-80 tons.

Any suggestions?

Oh & the council dont want to know as its on private land even though its been used as a dump for over 50 years.

Richard
sally_in_wales

would there be any value in digging it all out, hand picking out anything obvious like half full paint tins but leaving anything that isnt an major health hazard, then piling it all up into an interesting shaped mound (maybe curve it round something that needs some shelter??), covering it with a layer of safer soil without sharp bits, and planting dense shrubs and trees over it. I know it means the waste is still on your land, but it could make an interesting wildlife feature. Confused
tahir

Or a bank built up over the waste?
sally_in_wales

You could always invite the nearest archaeology university course to come and identify layers of crud as its dug up as an excercise in modern industrial archaeology/decay of objetct, if by some chance they took you up you'd have loads of pairs of hands for a day or two to sort the waste into heaps Laughing Laughing
TheGrange

following on with that theme have you any hollows in your land that need infill ? topsoil over it and seed?
RichardW

It is looking like its going to have to me mounded up (after removing what we can) & covered. That does then leave me open to trouble from the EA as it will be counted as me having dumped it lol.

That or dig a hole & use the good soil, subsoil & clay in other places.

I think having any one from an archaeology group would slow down the works to much, have you seen how slow they dig stuff up lol.

There are plenty of nice bottles & jars.

Richard
RichardW

TheGrange wrote:
following on with that theme have you any hollows in your land that need infill ? topsoil over it and seed?

Not where I would be happy having all that rubbish rotting away too.

The closer I can keep it to the ditch the better as any leachate can "geroff my land" easier.

Richard
sally_in_wales

theres a potential market for the really old bottles and jars if you can be bothered to pick out the decent ones. There is sometimes a bottle chap at a carboot we go to in the summer and he always seems to do a steady trade

Its a pain that moving it will count as you dumping it, even if you are effectively making it less problematic in the process Confused
Cathryn

Richard, this is a problem for many farmers and the NFU should be able to help you. Jack also thinks that the council are responsible if flytipping has been happening there for ages. If you are a member of the NFU you can get free legal advice on it but he feels sure that they will give you advice in any case.
RichardW

Cheers will check that out. Not a member but could be worth joining if they can help.

Richard
Brownbear

Could you fly-tip it all in the car park of the council offices, over the Christmas break?
Gervase

Ask around - an awful lot of farmers quarry stone from their land (illegally) and are looking for stuff to infill. Someone may well welcome you with open arms.
Failing thank, the classic Welsh clawdd - bank and hedge - is an ideal way to use rough stuff like that.
RichardW

To give you some idea of the problem here is a pic

That is prob the worse pile for content volume.

Richard
vegplot

What a mess. Taking out the worst, cover, and grow seems to be about the best solution doesn't it.
sally_in_wales

the good news is there is definately more soil than crud visible, maybe not by much, but I reckon its definitely in that sector.
Clara

I don't know if it's any help, but I saw at the side of the road yesterday, where they had cut away earth to widen the road, they had covered the exposed earth with a cloth which seems to have been impregnated with grass seeds (or such like). Presumably here it is being used to minimise the risk of land slip, but it gave me an idea for a very large pile of rubble I have. That said it's been less than a year and the building rubble I have (virtually no soil) is starting to be reclaimed by nature already, reckon it will be invisible by the end of the year.

(I should explain that I have no vehicle access for 1km, so getting a whole roofs worth of rubble to a skip is not an option)
RichardW

Well I have decided to try a stone / riddle bucket on the digger to get the bulk of it out. A new one would have been about £400 so I have modified a bucket that I dont use. It also had a few stress cracks so I have ground them & welded both sides up too. As most of this was thick stuff I have run a root weld first & then a much bigger wider cap.

THE BUCKET

First cut using 3mm cutting disk

Did the rest with 1mm disks as its easier

THE HOLE

& the disk used

All the parts bent & laid out. 16mm square for the bars & 6mm x 50mm for replacing the strength removed with the hole.

Some welds & reverse sides showing heat

Just a few more bars to weld on & its done

Will weld the last few bits up tomorrow & then test it.

Richard
sally_in_wales

impressive looking bit of kit Smile
12Bore

Nice job, shame it was needed!
Brownbear

Lovely neat welds.
RichardW

Brownbear wrote:
Lovely neat welds.

Thank you Embarassed Embarassed

Not to bad considering it was howling a gale & MIG's dont like wind. Put a couple of wind breaks up to try to keep it off. Only got one small bit of bubbling. Also helps having a big welder & well prepped metal.

Richard
RichardW

Finished the welding today & gave it a test run.

On most of the stuff it works fine. It does not like the feed sacks & the car seat plastic materials as it blocks the bars up so the soil can not pass. I guess I will have to hand pull them as I go along.

Richard
Mutton

The earth bank with rubbish in it idea was done a long time back on our land by a previous owner - and now we have nosey little sheep who like running up and down the bank and scratching at it, crud is slowly re-appearing, old bottles and things plus
About five large unbroken panes of the thick safety window glass used in cars
One large black and white trainer - the sheep love that, drag it around and kick it.

We are going to fence the bank off as a nature bit before they completely erode it. That will just leave them with the molehills to flatten, which is a favourite game.

Same out the front of the house - now the chickens are scratching under the ornamental bushes that decorate the "landscaped" bank between us and the road, various bits of broken glass are popping out.

So the moral of the story is - design your heap to be stock proof. Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home