Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
VM

If you were going to have just one apple tree...

... what would it be?

I know this is a silly question (because could be so many different answers) but thought would be fun to ask. Smile

Mostly going to grow apples as cordons but would like to squeeze in one proper tree.

So, if you were me (which means liking lovely flavoured, sharpish apples which can be eaten fresh or cooked) with space for a small tree...

... which one?
Hairyloon

The size of the tree is determined by the rootstock, so get an appropriate rootstock and graft on whatever varieties you want to be eating.
dpack

laxton superb is quite sharp raw,cooks ok and makes decent cider

or russet which is really nice
Bungo

Worcester pearmain for me Laughing
tahir

Lord lambourne
St Edmunds russet
Limelight

Not tried cooking with any of them though
tahir

Actually for sharp and cook able it has to be James grieve. No competition
Bebo

Lord Lambourne is the nicest tasting apple I have ever eaten.
yummersetter

Orleans Reinette - though the flavour is rich rather than sharp. It doesn't cook to a fluffy splodge in the way Bramley does but makes the finest Tarte Tatin as the slices hold their shape and the cooked flavour goes perfectly with caramel.
OtleyLad

Spartan - deep, dark red skin, pink/white flesh, lovely crisp texture, full taste and a good keeper too. Not a bad cooker either.
Mistress Rose

Spartan is good in that direction, so I would agree with Otley Lad. We had a garden 12' x 40' at our first house and managed 2 cordon apple trees in it quite satisfactorily, as well as rhubarb, vegetables and a small lawn and narrow flower beds.
gz

Orleans Reinette - though the flavour is rich rather than sharp. It doesn't cook to a fluffy splodge in the way Bramley does but makes the finest Tarte Tatin as the slices hold their shape and the cooked flavour goes perfectly with caramel.

seconded...I seem to remember it keeps well too
Mutton

I haven't eaten any of the recommendations in the thread other than russet. I've always been fond of Sunset as a good flavoured mediumish sized eating apple (not tried cooking it), reliable year on year and very pretty to look at when in fruit. Also stores well if picked carefully and put in a cool room in trays.
dpack

laxton is a bit prone to codling moth so greasing and sacking is vital but with just one tree will only take a minute with some grease and a bit of sack at the proper times.

good in pies and sauce,ace cold from the tree as a breakfast treat,and as a heavy cropper good for cider /juice.not prone to falling but can be a bit awkward to climb due to the way it fills itself with small branches so pruning is good .

russet ace ace a ripe eater ,stores well compared to some old varieties ,cooks well if a little under ripe .ive not tried fermenting it but i recon it would be better than ok .

if space is an issue laxton is quite a small tree for the amount of fruit it gives .

edit for extra info.
Lorrainelovesplants

orleans Reinette = problem free, reliable, delicious, cooker/eater/cider.
jettejette

A russet! Ours is a brilliant keeper and has a superb flavour.
yummersetter

Orleans Reinette is a big russet - fills your hand. I think of it as the perfect 1700s apple, it has old fashioned pinky flowers and the fruit looks like one of those beautiful Dutch still-lives, it tastes as a dessert apple as if it should be eaten by .
did anyone guess? . . candlelight
VM

Brilliant - what a lot of lovely apples to think about!

Thank you all. Now I just have to make a decision before the autumn... I like cookers that don't go fluffy but keep shape. I also like long keeping apples. Ho hum.

I love reading descriptions of apples - but it always makes me want them all. Smile
dpack

with clever grafting you can have several on one rootstock which might be an option for a singleton tree.
wellington womble

I have seen those commercially available, too. Family trees, I think they were called.
VM

I am hoping to end up with five or six cordon apples, so that will enable me to have variety, rather than the family tree thing - but I would like to have one modestly-sized proper tree because they look nice - and obviously this will be the variety we end up with most of - so will probably go for one of ones mentioned that keeps reasonably well. They all sound nice!
tahir

I am hoping to end up with five or six cordon apples, so that will enable me to have variety, rather than the family tree thing

That's what I'd do too
Mistress Rose

Just a reminder that for best results you need at least one tree in flower at the same time as another. In commercial orchards they sometimes use crab apples for this. Golden Hornet is a good one and makes good jelly too. VM

Yes, I occasionally spend time poring over the useful Orange Pippin site with its lists of pollination partners. I make all sorts of notes and then remember that I have already planted two crab apples (Golden Hornet and Gorgeous) and also we are in the middle of a village, surrounded by other gardens, at least some of which I know to have apple trees in.

So I am probably making things unnecessarily complicated. Smile

I had fun working out pollination for Ribston Pippin when looking at that!
VM

Has anyone grown Topaz?

I mostly haven't been looking at modern varieties so much. But I recently bought some Topaz apples from the brilliant Unicorn Grocery when on a visit back to Manchestrt. They always have several varieties of good quality organic apples, but these just struck me as particularly delicious when I was eating them.
tahir

I've got a few modernist ones never heard of topaz though. Just because it's modern doesn't mean it's no good dpack

all of them were modern once upon a time Wink VM

all of them were modern once upon a time Wink

Very Happy Very Happy
VM

http://www.orangepippin.com/apples/topaz gregotyn

Only one tree then Spartan, as it will do all and keep. 2 trees then I would go for Spartan and a good keeping cooker-Bramley or Howgate Wonder both big apples. I also had Egremont russet, a great eater and keeper if I remember. tahir

Topaz has Lord Lambourne and Golden Delicious via Rubin in it so it's going to be tasty tahir

Topaz has Lord Lambourne and Golden Delicious via Rubin in it so it's going to be tasty

In fact I may have to buy a few, but not this year; 10000 trees to be planted this winter already (forestry stuff)
VM

Only one tree then Spartan, as it will do all and keep. 2 trees then I would go for Spartan and a good keeping cooker-Bramley or Howgate Wonder both big apples. I also had Egremont russet, a great eater and keeper if I remember.

I tend to use eaters for cooking. Though there are a few English recipes where you want apples to collapse into fluff as Bramleys do, lots of things I make, like French-style apple tart, or chutney, it seems to me are good with sweet/sharp eaters which hold their shape.

But Spartan sounds like a good choice for tree perhaps as I read it is a more vigorous one and so maybe not good for cordons.
yummersetter

I've never cooked with it, so didn't suggest it, but its my favourite dessert apple and my loveliest fruit tree of all the 200 here - the Kidd's Orange Red is in flower again. 1950s lipstick coloured flowerbuds ( I always think 'blossom by Chanel') and a stunning shape, there's a rose perfume around it right now, which is there in the flavour of the ripe apple. Its the one I make most of my juice from. Picture later . . tahir

Kidds is definitely a goodun Mistress Rose

Tahir, what are you planting? Sounds like a reasonable area too. yummersetter

Click to see full size image
VM

Yummersetter, I always like hearing from you on here because you are so generous with info and experience on trees and fruit - but then you do things like mention your 200 trees and I turn green with envy and it's hard to keep liking you! Laughing

Looked for a 'green with envy' emoticon, but all the green ones look a bit dubious and not sure I can interpret them correctly.

But seriously, thank you for the picture and I shall go and look up the apple...
yummersetter

I feel the same about Tahir's collection!

Some of mine were inherited from Grandfather, apple and rose fanatic in the first half of the 1900s, some were my planting after the Somerset Hurricane of 1988 took out half his trees, the majority from Scotts closing down auction.

Envy warning . . today we have sunshine and huge storms. I took the dogs down to the new orchard for a run, and as we crossed the bridge a wave of strong rose perfume hit us. The rain had shocked the trees into releasing apple blossom perfume just at nose level, especially Kidds, Rev Wilkes and Ribston.
Lovely.
VM

Was looking for the Like button but then remembered this is here, not Facebook.

So I suppose Very Happy is what I do about the perfume - rather than Mr. Green or sad2

Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home