Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
stumbling goat

Immersun (Immersion heater) query?

Does anyone have something like this fitted, and if so how does it work out financially?

I had a Solar system fitted 2012, but never heard of the Immersun, or similar, element. Friends have one fitted with their Solar system and as a result do not need to use their gas boiler at all in the summer months.

Would be interested to know if anyone else has a similar unit and how effective it is, what it cost and payback time?

Thank you

sg
Ty Gwyn

I`m not sure if this Immersun you mention is a new device or just a new name for the old Immersion heater,which has been around for many years,we had one fitted when we had electricity first connected in 1960.
If one was fitted,it would run off the Solar as it did off the electricity.
dpack

i have been told that such things are the best use for domestic wind power so i spose they would work with pv panels.

if you get a good payment for spare leccy and have a cheap means of heating water it might be best to do that rather than use the pv leccy as a water heater .
stumbling goat

The element I am looking at, that my friends have, is a device that switches any spare electricity generated from the solar power system to the immersion rather than use the gas boiler or standard electrical supply, thereby saving money.

sg
Hairyloon

A very sensible and obvious device... Why do I have a feeling that it costs a lot more than it ought to?
I think it might be a bit tricky to determine when there is a surplus.
stumbling goat

Their dual fuel costs have gone down from 120 a month to 68 a month, and they are in credit 3320 this year. The immersion means they do not use their gas biker for hot water in the summer.

It will probably cost a lot more for the small box of electronics than it costs to make and sell it with a reasonable profit, but as long as there is a saving for me I do not begrudge the maker making their share. Not that I will not try to get it as cheaply as possible though.

sge
Hairyloon

Daft to use a biker for hot water, unless he's part of a CHP system...

How much is the device? And doyou know how clever it is?
Ty Gwyn

Correct me if i`m wrong,but any surplus electricity generated by the solar panels,is simply electricity not used,and goes back to the grid and one gets paid around 5p per unit,
Surely it would be better,cheaper and simpler to just wire the immersion into the feed from the panels,Strange it was`nt already,
Or is there a reason it was`nt?
Hairyloon

Correct me if i`m wrong,but any surplus electricity generated by the solar panels,is simply electricity not used,and goes back to the grid and one gets paid around 5p per unit,

3p last I looked.

Quote:
Surely it would be better,cheaper and simpler to just wire the immersion into the feed from the panels,Strange it was`nt already,
Or is there a reason it was`nt?

Cheaper and simpler, but if the immersion is the standard 3kW and you are only generating 3kW then that won't leave owt for your fridge, TV and other essentials.

Here is a question though, I wonder if anyone here knows the answer:

If you have a solar panel generating 1.5kW and a load drawing 3kW which you switch off for half of the time, then your net power consumption is zero.
If energy goes into the grid at 3p/unit and comes out at 15p/unit, how fast do you have to switch your load on and off for your bill to be zero?
vegplot

Surely it would be better,cheaper and simpler to just wire the immersion into the feed from the panels

Not a good idea to the imbalance in loads. It would also be inefficient.
Ty Gwyn

Surely it would be better,cheaper and simpler to just wire the immersion into the feed from the panels

Its no wonder i don`t understand half the information these Solar guy`s show me when they call here,

So the Immersion heater i have here wired into my fuse box/sealed unit,would have to be disconnected if i choose to get solar panels,or it will imbalance the loads and be inefficient?
stumbling goat

Its no wonder i don`t understand half the information these Solar guy`s show me when they call here,

So the Immersion heater i have here wired into my fuse box/sealed unit,would have to be disconnected if i choose to get solar panels,or it will imbalance the loads and be inefficient?

Not as I understand it from my friends. The Immersun or similar is connected and controlled in such a way that when the solar input exceeds domestic need, instead of exporting the excess to the Grid, it first routes to the immersion element. When the water in the tank has reached temperature, the element switches off demand and excess from the PVS is then exported to the grid.

I will look into this when I get home. Seems like an obvious choice to me, to go for it.

sg
Ty Gwyn

Thanks SG,
That is basically my thought on the subject,except i am having difficulty in seeing the need for this special unit you mention,
Surely if there was a Thermostat on the Immersion,then the electricity made by solar would be topping up the water temperature anyway,in the same way as thermostats on radiators works for central heating,

Of course.when the solar is not generating ,the mains electricity will be doing the work.
Hairyloon

Of course.when the solar is not generating ,the mains electricity will be doing the work.
That is the basic problem: you at least want something to turn it off when the sun is not shining.
A device that just does that would be very simple and would not need to cost much at all: could probably do it for <10.
Ty Gwyn

That is the basic problem: you at least want something to turn it off when the sun is not shining.
A device that just does that would be very simple and would not need to cost much at all: could probably do it for <10.

Exactly,like the plug in timer i use for the central heating.
stumbling goat

Maybe I have over thought this?

I maybe could do with speaking with an electronics - circuitry- gadget person.

Ah well I will keep over thinking and looking.

Very Happy

sg
Hairyloon

Maybe I have over thought this?

I maybe could do with speaking with an electronics - circuitry- gadget person.
It depends upon how clever you want it to be.
Something that only uses power when you have a surplus would have to be quite clever, and I can't actually think how it would be done.
But something like I suggested could be a long way better than nothing: depends somewhat on your relative generation and typical consumption rates.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home