Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Mrs Fiddlesticks

in the time it takes to boil pasta you could make..

what? ( and the 1st person to use the LURVE word... honestly Rolling Eyes minds like.. )

Suggest quick and simple pasta sauce recipes that can be made in the time it takes for the pasta to cook. Handy for those nights when you're short of time and to be honest can't be bothered to cook really.

Mine would be to heat a small tin of chopped tomatoes with a pinch of sugar, a finely chopped chilli and a handful of finely sliced veggies like carrots, courgettes or beans, and fresh herbs to suit. Simmer until thickened and then pour over pasta.

Or fry off some small bits of cubed bacon and once nearly done add a handful of spinach and cook until just wilted.

Over to you...
jema

Sounds like a Dolmio (or whatever the spelling is day) Very Happy
Mrs Fiddlesticks

jema wrote:

no no don't open a jar. What can you make from scratch with things you have in storecupboard or fridge that would make a tasty, quick pasta sauce! Rolling Eyes
Róisín

In the time it takes to boil dried pasta, you could slice fresh tomatoes and pop them on the hob with a lid on the pot and some basil and garlic to keep them company; while you lazily grate some parmesan as a garnish.
Northern_Lad

For farfalla:
Place pasta in pan of boiling water.
Wait.
Wait a bit more.
In a fresh pan, pour lots of good olive oil.
Crush a clove or two of gralic and add to pan.
Drain pasta.
Add a few ripped leaves of basil to pan.
Chuck in pasta.
Mix and serve.

If you can't be doing with the waiting part, bone a chicken thigh and cook in the pan (boned and flattened should only take 5 minutes). Remove it before the oil stage and cut into small pieces, then add it back in after you've coated the pasta with the oil.
jema

Fiddlesticks Julie wrote:
jema wrote:

no no don't open a jar. What can you make from scratch with things you have in storecupboard or fridge that would make a tasty, quick pasta sauce! Rolling Eyes

I was actually taking the pee Wink It always amazes me that given that you have time to make a proper pasta sauce whilst making pasta, that jars like that are so popular Rolling Eyes
Mrs Fiddlesticks

jema wrote:
jema wrote:

I was actually taking the pee Wink It always amazes me that given that you have time to make a proper pasta sauce whilst making pasta, that jars like that are so popular Rolling Eyes

exactly - thats why I started the post - no one needs to buy pasta sauce jars!
Northern_Lad

For taglietelle:

Add pasta to pan.
Place fillet of fish (salmon is ideal) in a pan and cook.
Remove from pan.
Pour double cream or ricotta into pan, with some garlic and heat gently.
Flake fish.
Season cream.
Add fish to cream
Drain pasta and add to pan.
Mix and serve.

(tonight's tea for me)
sean

Olive oil, finely sliced garlic, a couple of anchovies and some dried chilli flakes all sweated together. IMHO, the only exception to the no parmesan with seafood rule.
tawny owl

Re: in the time it takes to boil pasta you could make..

Mine would be to heat a small tin of chopped tomatoes with a pinch of sugar, a finely chopped chilli and a handful of finely sliced veggies like carrots, courgettes or beans, and fresh herbs to suit. Simmer until thickened and then pour over pasta.

Or fry off some small bits of cubed bacon and once nearly done add a handful of spinach and cook until just wilted.

Over to you...

For really, really quick one with very little prep needed: tin of tomatoes, handful of frozen onions, ditto of frozen mushrooms, ditto of fresh basil (or an icecube of basil that I usually have in freezer), icecube or two of leftover red wine, seasoning. Even the laziest cook has very little excuse!
sean

Fry diced bacon, add passata, simmer for a bit, add frozen peas (all right, I know....), dollop of mascarpone and some shredded basil. Good with penne.
Northern_Lad

For taglietelle (again):

Pasta, pan, introduce.
Slowly sweat some slice/ripped mushrooms (oyster work well) in a pan with some garlic.
A minute of two before the pasta's ready add in some cream (not to the pasta Rolling Eyes , the other one)
Season.
Drain pasta and mix.
Lozzie

Melt butter. Add milk and flour. Whisk. Add cheese. Whisk brisk. Add ham. Not Spam. Add chopped up chives and sage. Eat before you age.
Northern_Lad

For Fusilli:

Boiling water, pasta, you get the idea.
Go to freezer and retrieve ragu that you prepared earlier.
Nuke in the microwave.
Mix the two together.

(I know, I know: but you didn't say we couldn't use our own food out of the freezer Laughing )
Jb

Fresh or dried pasta?

I use fresh tagliatelle which takes about three minutes to cook but most sauces seem to benefit from a long slow simmer. The only thing I can do in that time are would be a carbonara. Fried bacon, mushrooms, peppers; eggs beaten and mixed with parmesan; by which time the pasta is done, drained returned to the pot and the egg, bacon etc added mixed and served on plates which warmed under the grill while doing that.
twoscoops

Toast some pine nuts under the grill. Drain the pasta and empty a tin of sardines in tomato sauce in the pan. Crush with a fork, return the pasta to the pan, mix well and sprinkle pine nuts on top.

Too tinny for you?

Two minutes before the pasta is done throw in some washed

purple sprouting broccoli/brussel tops/spinach/swiss chard

Drain when ready, return pan to heat and add some olive oil and chopped garlic. After a minute return the pasta to the pan and add some cubed

stilton/brie/feta/pecorino

mix well and serve.
cab

Raid the fridge for whatever wild mushrooms you have.

Fry off some onions in olive oil with a tiny bit of chilli and some parsley. When soft (a minute or so) add in the mushrooms (chopped a little). A little ham if you fancy, some slice peppers if you like.

Toss the pasta with the mushrooms when done, add salt and pepper, and a grating of parmesan or other hard cheese.
hils

have done this for lunch today.....pasta cheese sauce and veg
Put pasta on - a steamer on top.
bung in a handful of quick steam veg - today I had runner beans and broccolli
put a 'blob' (about table spoon)of butter into a non-stick pan and let it melt.
sieve about the same quantity (maybe a little bit more) of plain flour onto melted butter and whisk in - using a NON metal whisk so not to damage the pan
when this has started to cook a bit gradually add milk and keep whisking- until the mixture stops looking like a disaster! add a bit if english mustard grated cheese to taste and a bit of nutmeg.

Pasta should be ready now - mix in sauce n veg season if u like serve. About 10-12 mins max
Mrs Fiddlesticks

hils wrote:
have done this for lunch today.....pasta cheese sauce and veg
Put pasta on - a steamer on top.
bung in a handful of quick steam veg - today I had runner beans and broccolli
put a 'blob' (about table spoon)of butter into a non-stick pan and let it melt.
sieve about the same quantity (maybe a little bit more) of plain flour onto melted butter and whisk in - using a NON metal whisk so not to damage the pan
when this has started to cook a bit gradually add milk and keep whisking- until the mixture stops looking like a disaster! add a bit if english mustard grated cheese to taste and a bit of nutmeg.

Pasta should be ready now - mix in sauce n veg season if u like serve. About 10-12 mins max

I'd forgotten about the pasta and steamer thing. I use to do that for the kids and once the veggies were done I'd just stir in a large spoonful of mascapone cheese and mix it all together.
judith

sean wrote:
Olive oil, finely sliced garlic, a couple of anchovies and some dried chilli flakes all sweated together. IMHO, the only exception to the no parmesan with seafood rule.

And if you're really feeling fancy, add a few chopped black olives and a small handful of chopped parsley to that little lot.
Mrs Fiddlesticks

my kids are actually very partial to pasta with cooked peas and lots of grated cheddar on top!
twoscoops

my kids are actually very partial to pasta with cooked peas and lots of grated cheddar on top!

Fry a little chorizo in the pan after draining the pasta & peas and you're in heaven.
nettie

fry some diced onions, mushrooms and bacon, add cream, parmesan and black pepper. Naughty but nice! Very Happy
treehuggermum

Whizz this up in the food processor while the pasta's boiling:

50 basil leaves (or more if you are using the tiny-leaved greek variety)
pinch of salt
50g pine kernels (or walnuts if you can't get any)
50g finely grated parmesan (or similar)
5 cloves of garlic (at least)
a dribble of olive oil

Thin with more olive oil and use approx. 2 tblsp per plate of pasta. Put the rest in the fridge in a jar and cover with a little olive oil. Lasts for ages.

If you want an extra zing, chop up some goat's cheese and add to pasta and above pesto while still hot, it goes all lovely and melty.

Mmmmmmm!
Caplan

All these recipes seem too long (like me replying to this post!)

While boiling the pasta fry some chopped bacon in a pan in a little oil.

Beat eggs (one per person ish) in a seperate jug and season well (remembering about the salt in the bacon though).

When pasta is cooked, drain well, and put it back in the big pan you cooked it in. Immediately throw the bacon (including the frying oil - which shouldn't be too much) into the hot pasta and then quickly stir in the beaten eggs. the heat from the pasta cooks the eggs.

Bingo. Pasta carbonara (bacon and eggs Italiano!)
sean

Caplan wrote:
All these recipes seem too long

I'd assumed that we were allowed the time for the water to come to the boil. If not I'll have to rethink.
wellington womble

chop and fry onion and garlic, add tin of tomaotes, boil till the pastas done, add anything leftover that needs using up. Eat. Grated cheese optional!

Or, my favourite - boil pasta, drain, add butter, add salt - eat (I know, but if you're one of those people, substitue olive and pepper! or cream cheese and herbs.)
hils

sean wrote:

I'd assumed that we were allowed the time for the water to come to the boil. If not I'll have to rethink.

Is it 'bad' that I always tend to boil water in the kettle before I start to cook things which need boiling in a pan?

I've got an electric kettle and a gas hob?
I have always gone on the assumption electricity is renewable ie wind turbines....and gas isn't.
Róisín

I always boil the water in the kettle first too, before adding to pan. I'm pretty sure this is the opposite of what my Home Ec teacher taught me ...
treehuggermum

hils wrote:
Is it 'bad' that I always tend to boil water in the kettle before I start to cook things which need boiling in a pan?

I've got an electric kettle and a gas hob! I have always gone on the assumption electricity is renewable ie wind turbines....and gas isn't.

I also boil the water in the kettle first with the same thought re gas and electricity, it also speeds things up somewhat, and that's a definite plus with hungry small people tugging at you!
Will

...yourself late by reading an article about Gerard Depardieu from the Observer rather than having a shower after a run.

Then you can stuff a bowl of pasta and pesto down rather too quickly, dash through the shower, realise that the only clean t-shirt available is very old, put it on anyway (with trousers, before anyone makes that comment Embarassed ), go out looking like a complete scruff, pick lift-sharing friend up and arrive at destination to find that you'd got the time wrong and actually had another 15 minutes. *sigh*
Northern_Lad

Will wrote:
... put it on anyway (with trousers, before anyone makes that comment Embarassed ), ...

...but you're not denying going commando?
Will

Pants are just one example of the extremes to which our consumption driven society has sunk.
treehuggermum

Will wrote:
Pants are just one example of the extremes to which our consumption driven society has sunk.

Laughing That cracks me up!
Will

Should we ask what the tree is hiding?
RoryD

Back on message please. Though another thread based on people choice of underpants may be of interest to some people I choose to knit my own. From Hemp. A little chafeing never hurt anyone.

Pasta (any)
Bacon/ Veg or leftovers in a pan frying with olive oil
Put mushrooms, stock c1/3 pintish, pepper and anchovies in a blender
Blend
Add to Bacon/lefties and simmer
Add pasta.

The key bit is an instant shroom based sauce with no cooking time I suppose. Don't add any salt to the blender as the anchovies do that for you.....
judith

Twoscoops wrote:
Two minutes before the pasta is done throw in some washed

purple sprouting broccoli/brussel tops/spinach/swiss chard

Drain when ready, return pan to heat and add some olive oil and chopped garlic. After a minute return the pasta to the pan and add some cubed

stilton/brie/feta/pecorino

mix well and serve.

You beat me to it with that one. I should just add that if you choose the right pasta, you even have time to go down the garden and pick/wash/chop the green stuff before adding it to the pan!
Andy B

treehuggermum wrote:
Will wrote:

Laughing That cracks me up!

Isnt it illegal to do that to a tree!
Will

I don't know, but the bracken looks scratchy.

Carbonara should be cooked very slowly.
Jb

Will wrote:
Carbonara should be cooked very slowly.

How do you do your carbonara? Even if I cook the eggs and use cream it's still only a 10 - 15 minute dish, with raw eggs and no cream it's barely minutes.
Will

It's the bacon and onion that should take the time, but I agree, it's not ages.

Dry fry the bacon gently until the fat runs.

Add the onion and cook slowly to keep the onion sweet.

When the onion starts to soften slosh in a glass of white wine and bubble it down gently.

Once the wine has gone, scrape the mixture onto the cooked pasta

Beat the eggs and cream together with lots of grated parmesan, then stir through the pasta while still warm.

Grate lots of black pepper over.
sean

Onion, in carbonara???????
You are obviously the antichrist and I claim my five pounds.
Jb

I'm with you on that Sean, no onion in my carbonara. Adding onion would slow the whole thing down as I slow cook onions for most purposes.
Will

From the "the best" column in the Guardian weekend about 4 years ago.

Give me some credit, I used to put mushrooms in it.
judith

Will wrote:
Give me some credit, I used to put mushrooms in it.

Add a couple of slices of black pudding, and you could call it Pasta Colazione Inglese Completa!
treehuggermum

Will wrote:
Should we ask what the tree is hiding?

It's remarkable what a little bit of tree can hide Very Happy
Bugs

Well helloooooooo....(sorry, I can't believe none of the blokes have dug out their best Leslie Howard for that Laughing )
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home