Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
tahir

infra red heating

One of my nephews has just bought a flat with no gas. He's talking about infra red panels for heating, I have no experience of them whatsoever. His other options I guess are storage heaters or convection heaters.

Any advice appreciated
[/quote]
GrahamH

Hi Tahir.

I've only used these in office buildings and that was about 15 years ago.

Ceiling mounted, very clean and easily controlled. Panels were sized to suit modular ceilings.
The versions I used were a thin flat panel, no visible workings, wiped clean with a damp cloth.

A good use of energy in conversion terms.

I haven't seen the domestic versions but I imagine a similar well proven design.
tahir

Thanks Graham, just wondered what it feels like in an ir heated environment. We used to have them in our warehouse, never really heated the place up but definitely warm when you stood near it.
GrahamH

Hi Tahir.

Were the warehouse heaters in the form of bars?

The panel heaters do not heat the air....they heat objects similar to the way the sun works.

They did produce a pleasant environment. At the time I was involved with these there were also under desk panels similar in looks to an electric oil filled radiator.

Infra red patio heaters were a different design with exposed radiation bars.
tahir

Hi Tahir.

Were the warehouse heaters in the form of bars?

Yep
tahir

Thanks Graham
GrahamH

Hi Tahir.

The flat panels are the way to go. Heat is more dispersed, very easy to clean, cool to the touch, can be free standing.....
RichardW

They heat things rather than the air. Good for high room volume or high air changes.
Treacodactyl

In a well insulated house I quite like storage heaters on E7 (probably fairly 'green' as well). I would hope the modern ones are slightly better than ones from 20 years ago as ours still run out of heat by 21:00ish. Ideal if anyone's home during the day but bulky.
vegplot

Does he have dual metering? It might be worth looking at night storage if he has but the cost of heaters is high.
sean

Ideal if anyone's home during the day but bulky.

That's no way to describe your OH Wink
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home