Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Will

Install your own vs switching tariff

A comment on the pv thread pointed out the money saving was only one of the reasons for installing microgenerating capacity, and that the main one was saving carbon emissions.

This got me thinking. I buy my power on a renewables scheme(RSPB from Southern). This achieves the aim of saving the carbon through a small ongoing premium on my monthly bill, rather than a large upfront investment with an indeterminate payback period. I've not crunched the numbers, but I get the impression it will take a very long time for the cumulative premium to exceed the investment.

So why install microgeneration? I can see three possible reasons:

- Off grid location and replacement of standalone oil generation
- Reducing dependency on grid due to concerns as to sustainability
- Increasing public awareness due to visual impact of turbine/panels.

I only find the first one persuasive - the third is a red herring, IMO, and the second would only be justifiable if a) large scale, grid-distributed renewable generation were less effective and reliable than micro (it isn't, except in very windy places) and b) there was no drive towards or availability of large scale renewables.

I can see a potential argument around large scale renewables coming from evil big business, but that seems to be more down to prejudice than practicality.

Any thoughts?
dougal

Will - leave aside those off-grid, they are a special case, and in Europe a tiny minority.
Self-generation which is both grid-connected AND able to function independently of the mains is the most expensive way to go. Albeit the most attractive.
Its because of the public visibility and profile of the things that I am so concerned about the aparrent 'over-selling' and 'hypeing' of the Windsave turbine.

To me, the major strategic benefits of microgeneration are 1/ reduction of grid losses, 2/ efficiency gains by using CHP rather than dumping heat produced in electricity generation and 3/ the environmental benefits of decentralisation. There may also be an economic argument about the way in which the capital cost of generation equipment is spread through the community. There is also the fact that microgeneration allows the multiplicity of small individual energy sources (like small streams) to be exploited, rather than allowed to run to waste.

And remember that electricity generation is premium energy. In the UK, water and space heating is usually a greater domestic use of energy.
Penny Outskirts

For us, the main driver would be being off grid, and consequently, not being dependent on something you can't control. And also a sort of satisfaction in producing things for yourself. Personally, we seem to have a very deep need to achieve that....
oldhibberd

Reduce dependance on large corporations. Take more control over own needs.

Unfortunately I have to say that currently all forms of micro-generation seem prohibitively expensive!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home