Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
OtleyLad

Insulating a freezer - good or bad idea?

We've at last got ourselves a big new freezer after years of making do with two small ones (one of which was hopelessly inefficient).

I was wondering would it be worth insulating it? Would it use less leccy if it was?

Of course I'd have to leave vents in any insulation for the heat to get out.
Nick

No.
OtleyLad

No.

You must show your working out to get full marks!
Mistress Rose

The freezer should be well insulated already. I wouldn't add any extra insulation because you might get condensation between it and the freezer body, and it might upset the freezing system.

We did reinsulate our first chest freezer. Can't remember what happened, but think somehow the insulation got wet as we kept it in an outhouse. Not very efficient, but it kept going for a number of years, and we still have it. Has been used in emergency when our main one broke down.
stumbling goat

No.

Laughing
Nick

No.

Laughing

It is entirely sufficient to provide the correct answer, accept a 2:2, and get on with fun stuff. I have built my entire life around this logic. 'Full marks' are for swots and teachers' pets.
RichardW

It depends.

Is it a new style freezer with the heat exchanger built into the panels or an older style one with an external one?

If its an older style one then yes you can add insulation to all the sides top & bottom that dont have the heat exchanger mounted on them. With care you can undo the exchanger & slide extra insulation behind that as well. To stop the condensation issue fully bond / glue the insulation on.

If its a new style one then its not possible to add insulation on as you will be holding the heat in.

Edit to add.

We had a new freezer recently. Its about the same size as the old one but has a much lower internal capacity as it came with much better insulation than the old one. Roughly double the thickness.
RichardW

No.

Laughing

It is entirely sufficient to provide the correct answer, accept a 2:2, and get on with fun stuff. I have built my entire life around this logic.

I think thats the 80/20 rule.

80% of the marks come from 20% of the effort. Getting those last few % takes lots of extra effort.
Nick

No.

Laughing

It is entirely sufficient to provide the correct answer, accept a 2:2, and get on with fun stuff. I have built my entire life around this logic.

I think thats the 80/20 rule.

80% of the marks come from 20% of the effort. Getting those last few % takes lots of extra effort.

Yep, and the opportunity cost of those extra marks is a lot of fun stuff missed out on. Smile
OtleyLad

OK, you've talked me out of it.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home