Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
sally_in_wales

insulation grants

Just had a survey done for a government grant to have the insulation topped up, apparently the ideal now is 10 inches of insulation, and if we can prove to the council that we earn less than £20k between us (which we do, way less, but having only gone officially poor four months ago I'm not quite sure how best to demonstrate this- but one step at a time) we get the insulation done free.

Anyway, turns out that even if we were't broke enough, under the scheme doing the rounds it would only cost £99 to have it done anyway, which is probably worth considering and likely to be far less hassle than going out and buying all the stuff and braving our creaky roofspace anyway.

So, anyone out there with less than enough insulation, might be worth having a look at the scheme for your area, sounds like its available to pretty much everyone
Very Happy
ninat

Hi Sally- we had similar scheme in Scotland, and all I can say is I wish we had done it years ago! We're in a bungalow so the loft area was bigger than the area they were offering at the cheapest level, but even paying extra for the x-s to be done,it was much cheaper than DIY.
The 2 guys did it in far less time than we could. they made a really good job, even replacing our strategically placed TV ariel back in the correct place Very Happy
Mutton

Its also worth ringing round builders merchants and DIY places. From time to time companies sponsor cheap loft insulation to help them meet their govt targets (companies like NPower) and enormous rolls can be GBP 1 each. I talked to one builder's merchant who said they had a better take up when they charged a low price than when it was free. People didn't believe it was worth having if it was free......

Not available at all times of year, you need to get lucky.
Jb

Also worth checking how much it would cost to do it yourself. The grants get a very good price for insulation and installation but it can still be cheaper to buy the insulation without a grant and install it yourself.
mochyn

We can't get any help with ours: our roof's the wrong shape! That is to say upstairs goes into the roof space so insulation would be rahter different than just rockwool or whatever between joists.

Ah well: never mind!
kamperknut

We had our loft done this summer, there is absolutely poo loads up there now, if I open the loft hatch there is a great fibreglass cliff staring at me, and I guess it took them a bit over an hour to do and it was free cos we are old and poor.

Thing I notice straight away in the summer is how much hotter it is in the loft now, so it should be the other way round come the winter...can't wait, well recomended
wizz

Just had a chap come to do an assessment today and we're eligible to have the loft and cavity walls done for free! Smile

He thought that our house wouldn't be suitable for the cavity wall stuff because it was built in 1909, but checked out the size of the cavity and it was OK after all.

Biggest problem for us now is emptying out the essential junk that we stored in the loft! Rolling Eyes
perlogalism

There seem to be loads of people offering to install your insulation for not a lot these days. Our neighbours have just had their cavity wall done for £99! Should pay for itself in a couple of winters Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home