Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Barefoot Andrew

Insurance tarts

So when it comes to house/motor insurance renewal time, which of you religiously shop around for the best renewal deal, and which find the whole process tedious, take the easy route and renew with the same insurer?

My household insurance is due for renewal on 19th July and without action from me will renew automatically, with the premium taken from my credit card. Just called to switch to a different card, and (a) the premium was suddenly £40 more - a mistake, the lady on the phone had misread, but not reassuring nonetheless, and (b) they wanted to take the amount now. I don't think so! Maybe I will spend some shopping around time after all...

A.
Pilsbury

always have a check around then see if you existing provider can match it, Halifax have a good deal that will freeze the premiums for the next 3 years if you dont make a claim and im sure there is one offering the 3rd year free if you dont make a claim.
can save a fair few quid by shopping around.
alison

We usually ring about 10 car places, and try and negociate too.

With the house, and farm we are tied to another firm with no claim discounts added as extra.
MrsWW

It is definitely worth both ringing around and negotiating - after all, it only costs time as most of the numbers are freephone these days.

It's a sad state of affairs that people who say "Oooh, I won't change, I've been with them for 15 years" are the people who haven't shopped around and who are actually getting overcharged by their insurer.
Jonnyboy

use the various websites and ring around. I've managed to save and stay with the same firm by just doing that
bagpuss

http://www.confused.com and http://www.moneysupermarket.com can give you a good comparison without all the leg work of you are just after a standard policy

its worth shopping around though but I would be weary of the tie ins and special deals as they are frequenty not as good as they look, you can generally get nearly as cheap quotes without any of the extra bits
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home