Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Katieowl

Insurance...

I've just had a ridiculous insurance renewal for the house insurance which also covers the B&B...when I say ridiculous, when I run the house through the Meerkat calculator...the very SAME insurer is offering to cover my house (as a non business premises) for 180...making the B&B public liability over 400 Surprised There have been no claims!

Does anyone know if I can buy liability for B&B seperately? OH obviously as a builder has a policy which is about a hundred quid a year. I can't believe that I'd need greater cover than a builder?

If I can't bring it within the realms of the real world, I'm going to have to seriously consider if it's worth carrying on, last year was so dire I barely covered the expenses...

Kate
Cathryn

Long shot but NFU insure different bits and pieces of premises and businesses, you could give them a call?
earthyvirgo

I'm not surprised actually. I have my business ins tagged onto our house ins and it's over 400 per annum.

It's with the NFU, who are brilliant but they was the cheapest I could get.

Cathryn's right, they're the best at adding odds and sods onto an insurance. I was able to state quite specific amounts to cover my print editions.

EV
Katieowl

Cheers, NFU are on the call list for today.

Kate
welsh veg grower

NFC for b and b and self catering insurance here not far off 900 a year
Katieowl

Well... I tried NFU - they came in at 20 over the 602 from LV.

So tackled LV directly, and pointed out that I'd run my house alone through several calculators online, where they came in at less than 200 (Still with LV!!!) and that when I took out the addition cover for B&B it was only 149 more per year, so asked them to justify the 600 - or tell me what the B&B cover was now? They told me they 'no longer did' the policy that I had and asked if I wanted them to recalculate....lots of faffing about later Mad, because the policy was in OH's name and we don't have a joint account, I beat them down to 270 for the year including the B&B! But that includes the premium for paying monthly etc. Arrrgh. It MUST be nearly wine O clock??? I think I can juggle to pay the other essential expenses, hopefully by getting someone in at Easter. I'm just about to put the details in Pembs too on the site I advertise on for 3! (as it's just part of the year!)

Kate
earthyvirgo

Well... I tried NFU - they came in at 20 over the 602 from LV.

So tackled LV directly, and pointed out that I'd run my house alone through several calculators online, where they came in at less than 200 (Still with LV!!!) and that when I took out the addition cover for B&B it was only 149 more per year, so asked them to justify the 600 - or tell me what the B&B cover was now? They told me they 'no longer did' the policy that I had and asked if I wanted them to recalculate....lots of faffing about later Mad, because the policy was in OH's name and we don't have a joint account, I beat them down to 270 for the year including the B&B! But that includes the premium for paying monthly etc. Arrrgh. It MUST be nearly wine O clock??? I think I can juggle to pay the other essential expenses, hopefully by getting someone in at Easter. I'm just about to put the details in Pembs too on the site I advertise on for 3! (as it's just part of the year!)

Kate

Gosh, that was worth doing Kate.
I always chat through ins renewals. The last was Mum's car ins (she's almost 90 so it's high), just picking up the phone got about 40 knocked off.

EV
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home