Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Jamanda

Interesting blog

http://britishfamily.co.uk/british-suppliers/wpbdm-category/british_food/

A family trying to buy only British products for a year.
They don't seem to have many suppliers yet.....
Cathryn

It makes me realise that we are actually an odd lot on downsizer and what we understand about food and lots of other aspects of life is far more than a quite a lot of other (normal?) people. It's a pity, I want us to be the norm.
Jamanda

Indeed. I hope they make a go of it. I'm sure it will be a learning curve and maybe if it's publicised will help others.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Interesting...but not the mindset I would have (do have?) about it? We'll see Smile
Jamanda

Interesting...but not the mindset I would have (do have?) about it? We'll see Smile

I think that's what makes it interesting.
john of wessex

What if they want to buy a new car...................

My ex & I had an old shape Vauxhall Agila, it was like the UN under the bonnet!
cir3ngirl

On news yesterday morning husband was trying to make a radio just incase their current one breaks then he might try making a mobile phone.
Went

Great publicity for their new book - probably (old cynic that I am) Rolling Eyes
Bodrighy

Not a good time to try it either. We are surrounded by market gardens but in the farmers market where they sell half their produce is imported as the crops have failed due to flooding.

Pete
marigold

Great publicity for their new book - probably (old cynic that I am) Rolling Eyes

That's what I thought. There's another woman earning her living dribbling on about not buying stuff for her child for a year.

I'm wondering if there's a market for my fascinating experience of not buying things because I haven't got any money to spare?
sean

Don't see why not actually. I'd be more likely to buy it than stuff written by people who have a comfortable fall-back position. Of course if you sold enough copies you'd have money and I'm not sure that a sequel about how you spent it would work. NorthernMonkeyGirl

A news report last night gave me a similar feeling - it was about lack of mortgages (or rather, high deposits) affecting buyers, builders etc etc.
The potential first time buyer they spoke to "wanted to live a life, y'know, holidays and days out and stuff" instead of making sacrifices to save up.
Call me an old fart, but saving up is hard for a reason??
marigold

Don't see why not actually. I'd be more likely to buy it than stuff written by people who have a comfortable fall-back position. Of course if you sold enough copies you'd have money and I'm not sure that a sequel about how you spent it would work.

Somebody once told me that I'd managed to make Milton Keynes sound interesting, so maybe I do have the potential to make not buying things sound interesting too Very Happy .
Annemieke

All we own and wear comes from charity shops but I'm afraid I can't do without my 'naturally sweetened' Billy's biscuits from Holland .... happy3
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home