Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Bodrighy

International drop spindles

I was pointed towards Russian drop spindles by a DS'er and so had a go at some. Made a Thai one while I was at it. They are all 12" long except the shorter one which is 11" long. Made of hawthorn and mahogany . The whorl on the Thai one is fixed.

Pete
Gill

They look very well made Smile .

Is the difference in styles significant?
sally_in_wales

Nice! Have you seen the spindles used for spinning yarn for Orenberg Lace? random pic here
http://morcatknits.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/04/09/guild_workshop_2007_008.jpg
Bodrighy

sally_in_wales wrote:
Nice! Have you seen the spindles used for spinning yarn for Orenberg Lace? random pic here
http://morcatknits.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/04/09/guild_workshop_2007_008.jpg

They look pretty much the same as the Russian style don't they?

These spindles are supported ones and need a small bowl to rest them in apparently. The Thai ones I think are used more like a traditional English one. None that I can find have a hook or slot on them so I'm not sure just how the yarn is fixed to the spindle. I am looking up different types at the moment and will make a couple of each one I find. except perhaps the Turkish ones, might give them a miss as they would take a lot longer to make and so boost the price to far to make by hand.

pete
toggle

pete made an amazing spindle bowl for me. it's a nice size, nice depth and is heavy enough to stay where ti's put.

show it off pete,
Bodrighy

toggle wrote:
pete made an amazing spindle bowl for me. it's a nice size, nice depth and is heavy enough to stay where ti's put.

show it off pete,

This you mean?

Pete
toggle

yep. it's sitting on the table in front of me atm. while it's not being a spindle support, it works well as a paperweight. although it was being a spindle support for at least 2 hours last night.
sally_in_wales

Bodrighy wrote:

They look pretty much the same as the Russian style don't they?

yep, they are a Russian style I believe, the bowl is important to support the spindle as you go. I've got an article in a magazine somewhere in the technique I think
toggle

support spindles are fun. i haven't quite got the hang of it yet, still parking and drafting, but i'm getting really nice yarn.
toggle

i like the look of the one in the middle. say how much and i will pop over with cash
mochyn

Pets/Sally/toggle: may I link to all of you from my new website please? Not live yet, still under construction.
Davasdu

pease escuse the slight ressurection of this topic.

i like the look of you spindles very much (stumbled onto your folksy shop) but have never heard of a tai spindle before. the design looks similar to the tibetan style spindles that are around at the moment which are support spindles. if it is a suspended spindle it would use a half hitch.
have you tried out the flatter bottomed russians yet? im curious to know how they spin, theyr very attractive. the traditional russian spindle shape doesnt usually produce a spindle that spins for very long periords (just how it evoloved) and they tend to take a bit of getting used to as they are more strenuous to spin on than spindles with a more pronounced whorl shape and im interested to see if the diferent shape effects this at all.

this is the vid all the tibetan spindles are based on
[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynrwcqZzlGk]

[/url]
Bodrighy

Hi Davasdu...another Cornish crafter?
I haven't come across the Russian spindles yet but I'll check them out. The Tibetan and Thai are similar and both are supported spindles . Thee more I look the more I find different types though a lot have evolved in similar ways by the look of it

Pet
Davasdu

Bodrighy wrote:

I haven't come across the Russian spindles yet but I'll check them out.

im sure they were labeled as russian on your folksy shop...maybe im remembering wrong

paralell evolution seems pervasive in spindle design, perfect example is the evolution of the spiral groove and high worl spindle both arrived at independently by the egyptians and pople living in the area of very northeast europe (what is now sweden and adjacent countries)

toggle put me onto you and this forum (i know her from spinners guild) and through her ive had a spin on some of your spindles.
i was wondering if you had had a bash at cross arm spindles yet?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home