Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
OtleyLad

Into the big wide world

I've just booked a 1/4 page ad in a local community magazine to advertise myself as an Electrician:

The mag comes out next week (Sept 6th) and is posted through about 15,000 letterboxes in the surrounding towns/villages.

A six month booking @ 69 + VAT per month but with a 10% discount for the September issue.

Not far off a year since I started the course - this is the final test - can I get any work?

In the future when I have done a 'critical mass' of work I would hope that word of mouth will be enough.

But for now I will have to train myself to have my mobile phone:
Nearby
Charged
Switched On
And answer the damn thing!

The website is currently a dog's dinner - so that will keep me busy for a day or two...
frewen

Good luck - I'm sure you'll soon be telling us how busy you are Smile
Sally Too

He gives an address though - and for me that would counter the mobile issue.

Having said that I like a first name - so that I can ask specifically for someone
Penny Outskirts

Like the advert, good luck Smile
robkb

Good luck.
stumbling goat

Advert does what it needs to. Good luck with your venture.

sg
Spruengli

Best of luck - the advert looks clear and professional Very Happy
Hairyloon

I spotted that after I'd posted, so I deleted my post. (I was saying that some folk don't trust a firm with only a mobile number).

Sorry, didn't mean to leave you answering a blank. Embarassed

Quote:
Having said that I like a first name - so that I can ask specifically for someone

I agree.
OtleyLad

I spotted that after I'd posted, so I deleted my post. (I was saying that some folk don't trust a firm with only a mobile number).

I never saw the post - so don't worry about it.

I did think about giving the home phone number, but then I thought it might be better if there was just a single number that in theory could get hold of me wherever I was in the daytime.

I still haven't figured out how to retrieve voice mails on my mobile yet. I have this hate/hate relationship with the thing. Maybe I should see a councilor or something.
Nick

What network are you on? Nell Merionwen

I did think about giving the home phone number, but then I thought it might be better if there was just a single number that in theory could get hold of me wherever I was in the daytime.

I still haven't figured out how to retrieve voice mails on my mobile yet. I have this hate/hate relationship with the thing. Maybe I should see a councilor or something.
Is is not just press and hold 1? Confused
cir3ngirl

Normally yes and it has a tape symbol where rest of numbers have letters beside them
Nick

Depends on phone and network. It's often the case, tho. OtleyLad

Normally yes and it has a tape symbol where rest of numbers have letters beside them

Ah, I see it now. Thanks.
No idea that was what the symbol was for Embarassed

There were no messages though Crying or Very sad - or I haven't set it up yet (must get some friends).
Mistress Rose

As Hairyloon said, although now deleted, having a land line number does give a certain confidence that the person is respectable, but having an address does mean that you can be found, and you are not a fly by night.

Being in another industry that is a bit likely to attract less stable people, we work on the respectable side. As you say, once you get a core of customers, you should get word of mouth recommendations if your work is good.

Not sure if it would work for you, but apart from emergency work, a landline number with answerphone works quite well for us. We always try to ring the person back that evening, if only to leave a message we have returned the call, so they can see that we do what we say (hopefully, weather etc. willing).

I would also try to get the web site up as soon as possible. We get a lot of our contacts that way now.
Nick

You can always have a landline that diverts to a mobile. The stability of a home number, the flexibility of a mobile. alison

I realise that I quite like mobiles on workmen. I would prefer to rig someone, and get them straight away, rather than a teen, who has been woken up, and who doesn't pass the message on later, on the home line. I would always ring the mobile number first if 2 numbers are given. Boarstall Girl

If I am looking for a tradesman, and see an ad like that, I tend to go and look them up on the net, for reassurance that they are not a mad axe murderer or something. I know from experience that many of my customers have had a browse of my site.
I have a friend who is an electrician and he is always too busy to have a look at my electrics (that or a glance at the bits of wire that are showing have given him a hint of what is hidden) and he is used to working on wires that have insulation....
Good luck and I am sure you will be turning away work soon!
12Bore

Advert looks good, best of luck! Very Happy Hairyloon

One other point about mobiles is that (I think) they are still expensive to call from a landline, or very expensive to call from the "wrong" mobile. Nick

From a regular BT line mobiles are 12p a minute, rather than 9p for a landline. The expense is a lot less than it used to be. Mistress Rose

I know I am old fashioned, but I still prefer a landline number. Up to you which you put in of course. Next thing you need to do is make sure that whichever you have will take a message when someone calls you in the middle of the night after a busy day. Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home