Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption
 


       Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad
tahir

Introducing the new foreign section of Downsizer

This is a forum to discuss what's going to happen in the new foreign section, what it'll be called etc. off you go...
Blue Sky

Thanks Tahir

We will have to get our thinking caps on and get to work.

Much appreciated.

Simon

P.s. who can see this area? I am assuming it's just the staff at the moment.
tahir

simon wrote:
P.s. who can see this area? I am assuming it's just the staff at the moment.


You, Pricey, and the "management" Staff Room doesn't give you access. To administer the group (add, delete members) you need to go here:

http://forum.downsizer.net/groupcp.php
Blue Sky

OK, thanks for the link

S
pricey

Oh what's this? hang on just got in back in a hour Very Happy
pricey

Right after a quick reread, can we add members to help us in the thinking behind this, can all the staff see this, if not who is in on the discussion, sorry for all the questions.
tahir

pricey wrote:
can all the staff see this, if not who is in on the discussion, sorry for all the questions.


Simon can add any members he likes, apart from the two of you at the moment these are the people that can see in here:

Me
Jema
Cab
TD
Bugs
Sean
Jonnyboy
Blue Sky

So who did you have in mind for the discussion Steve?

I intend to PM all the members that are resident in France to get ideas on what they think (not to add them as participants just yet of course). Also members from our own (france based) forum which is in it's very early stages.

If you think that any member in particular would be a help here please let me know who.

Cheers

Simon

P.s. sorry to rush .... gotta go get kiddies to bed Rolling Eyes
pricey

Hi Simon, right lets think. I know Andrea would be very interested from a input side of things, and Lorraine, she has just made the move from Belgium to Portugal at last.

I am going to pm some people on the Portuguese forum I'm on, a lot of them are very interested in this.

Some have had a look but not joined yet, so I need to get them joined up.

What about the Tigger Family, I think their input would be good to.

As for members here in the UK, I know Penny is very interested as she is thinking of buying in Port as well, with a view to move in a couple of years, I will pm other members and ask.

By the way Hi Guy's n Gall's, and thanks for giving this a chance for discussion.

Steve
Blue Sky

Thanks Steve

Do you mind PMing Andrea and Lorraine to see if they would like to join in?

I don't think I have had contact with either of them here. I have already PM'd Penny and she has now been added to the group.

Will get on with contacting other members (in France, Thos in Belgium, Haddock etc ...) in the morning. I am sure they will all have an interest in joining in.

More later

Simon
pricey

OK Simon will do.
Penny Outskirts

Bump!!!! After some clever tinkering behind the scenes, I'm here.

hello2
Blue Sky

Hi Penny

Welcome to the continent Very Happy

I PMed the powers that be but still waiting to hear back. What did you do exactly to get in? I thought we had hidden all the keys Wink

S
Penny Outskirts

simon wrote:
Hi Penny

Welcome to the continent Very Happy

I PMed the powers that be but still waiting to hear back. What did you do exactly to get in? I thought we had hidden all the keys Wink

S


Why thank you Very Happy

Amazing what you can do with a bent paper clip and a credit card Laughing (Bugs got some buttons pressed somewhere in the vast black hole that is Downsizer admin.)

Right - what's hapening, who's got the tea and biccies, or perhaps that should be coffee and croissants!!!!!
pureportugal

hi
i'm here now too
uma bica e uma nata para mim faz favor Smile
sophie
tahir

Long time no see PP, you OK?
pricey

Penny wrote:
simon wrote:
Hi Penny

Welcome to the continent Very Happy

I PMed the powers that be but still waiting to hear back. What did you do exactly to get in? I thought we had hidden all the keys Wink

S


Why thank you Very Happy

Amazing what you can do with a bent paper clip and a credit card Laughing (Bugs got some buttons pressed somewhere in the vast black hole that is Downsizer admin.)

Right - what's hapening, who's got the tea and biccies, or perhaps that should be coffee and croissants!!!!!


Been so ill & busy did'nt see you come in greetings Very Happy , I think andrea should be along any time soon as well, she is having problems with pc, it blew up in storm Shocked
Blue Sky

pureportugal wrote:
hi
i'm here now too
uma bica e uma nata para mim faz favor Smile
sophie


Thanks Sophie. We are now fully functional. Please give us your input on this new section of the downsizer site.

Oh and .....

.... Uma wotta??????

Must be foreign Embarassed

Wink

S
pureportugal

translation: expresso and a custard tart for me please!
portuguese version of coffee and croissant ...
Penny Outskirts

pureportugal wrote:
hi
i'm here now too
uma bica e uma nata para mim faz favor Smile
sophie


I know this is the foreign site, but I don't do many languages Embarassed

excepté, je parle un peu du Français et d'un petit peu d'Espagnol Very Happy
Blue Sky

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Razz Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
pricey

pureportugal wrote:
hi
i'm here now too
uma bica e uma nata para mim faz favor Smile
sophie


Embarassed Embarassed Hi sophie, I totaly forgot abuot you Embarassed Embarassed I see simon did'nt. You ok? web site is looking great, love all the new picture thing, what a difference it makes.

I will have a coffee and cake to please if your buying Cool
tahir

pureportugal wrote:
translation: expresso and a custard tart for me please!


Haven't had either for a verrry long time
pricey

tahir wrote:
pureportugal wrote:
translation: expresso and a custard tart for me please!


Haven't had either for a verrry long time


Iwill bring you some back in a couple of weeks Laughing
Penny Outskirts

The google translator (which Ok, I admit, I used for my French- so goodness knows if it's right or not Embarassed ) tanslates your words, Sophie, as "a pipe and a cream for me make favor" Laughing Laughing
pureportugal

hi penny - like many words in portuguese 'bica' has more than one meaning!

steve - when are you moving over? i'm looking forward to the housewarming party Smile Smile
pricey

Simon , did andrea PM you, she is having problems with the computer, having to use internet cafe at the mo.
pricey

pureportugal wrote:
hi penny - like many words in portuguese 'bica' has more than one meaning!

steve - when are you moving over? i'm looking forward to the housewarming party Smile Smile


When the plans are sorted, just going to phone Adam now. House warming party, can I come. Laughing
tahir

pricey wrote:
House warming party, can I come. Laughing


Laughing
Blue Sky

Yes bud

I heard from Andrea earlier.

Heck .... we are getting really cosmopolitain!!! Very Happy

France, Portugal, Spain, Italy ... already!

Sorry it has taken me a while to get around to it folks. Visitors, sowing seeds, installing poly-tunnels etc etc.

I'm afraid we still have to get things moving on the plot.

5 types of chilis all germinated and growing strong however (stick tongue out at tahir Smile ). Just kidding. No doubt I will need your advise on growing them on later in the year mate.

Keep movin'

S
Blue Sky

pureportugal wrote:
..... i'm looking forward to the housewarming party Smile Smile


Me too!

... I could bring a rabbit for the stew! Wink

S
pricey

simon wrote:
pureportugal wrote:
..... i'm looking forward to the housewarming party Smile Smile


Me too!

... I could bring a rabbit for the stew! Wink

S


Your all more than welcome, and you tahir if you want. Laughing

sophie you know you have been getting loads of hits on the site every day, well I know who it is.

Penny meet Sophie, Sophie meet Penny Laughing
Blue Sky

I honly hope that you are on commision Steve Wink
Penny Outskirts

hello sophie hello2
pricey

simon wrote:
I honly hope that you are on commision Steve Wink


Laughing Im sure evryone out in Portugal, will be there to help in a lot of ways. Sophie was the lady who we found Fontainhas though, without her web site & directions etc... we would never have found the most..... well Sophie's been there she know's what it's like Wink
pureportugal

hi penny
love the t-shirts!
Blue Sky

Well, good luck to you both!
Blue Sky

So ..... getting back on topic Laughing Laughing Laughing

Can we come up with a suitable name for this superb new forum?

May I put forward as my suggestion:

DOWNSIZING ABROAD

I beleive that this should make it clear to fellow members which are already living abroad and also those which are contemplating it that this might be the place to post "foreign related" posts and questions.

Any other suggestions folks?????

S
Penny Outskirts

pureportugal wrote:
hi penny
love the t-shirts!

Thanks Sophie - love the houses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (the site's excellent too BTW)

Did Steve tell you how I found the site? We were chatting about houses in Portugal, later that day he sent me a link to a lovely place on your site. But I'd already found that exact same house on your site, and was about to send the link to him, asking him what he thought Laughing Laughing
tigger

Hi everyone!
I'm all on my tod here in Italy (as far as DS company is concerned)
and sometimes feel a bit "foreign" on the main Downsizer site, but we're all foreign here!
Been out in Italy for 20 years now, Italian OH, 3 bilingual children aged 17, 11 and 6 and a miserably small garden unfit for any DS purpose, but we're working on a move..... Very Happy
Penny Outskirts

simon wrote:
So ..... getting back on topic Laughing Laughing Laughing


Sorry Boss Embarassed
Blue Sky

Hi tigger

Great to see you posting in here.

Welcome to the outcasts (sorry, foreigners) section of DS Wink

I am sure this will become a valluable connection for us folk that have move from the floaty island to the mainland.

Looking forward to reading your future posts

Simon
Penny Outskirts

Downsizing Abroad is good.
Blue Sky

Penny wrote:
Sorry Boss Embarassed


Where?!

Is Jema in here ???!!!

Shocked

I'm off to hide ......
Penny Outskirts

He's not Boss he's Lord and Master!!

Would it be helpful if everyone gave a brief bit about themselves, how long they've been abroad for, what made them go, how they got the opportunity, would they ever consider returning, and anything else of interest?
pricey

Penny wrote:
simon wrote:
So ..... getting back on topic Laughing Laughing Laughing


Sorry Boss Embarassed


Laughing

I think that's a great name.

That makes it clear and will keep every thing in one place. As more people joining the site from abroad find the section, they can post questions regarding things abroad etc..... , and everyone on ds can post suggestions / questions etc... It will keep every thing in one place, not scatter it about.

I don't know about everyone, but some times I miss posts which are quite interesting, so trying to find the foreign ones, well Shocked .

Am I making any sense, if not please tell me Embarassed
pricey

Penny wrote:
He's not Boss he's Lord and Master!!

Would it be helpful if everyone gave a brief bit about themselves, how long they've been abroad for, what made them go, how they got the opportunity, would they ever consider returning, and anything else of interest?


Good idea I'm up for it, one small problem though, I'm still here Sad
pricey

simon wrote:
Penny wrote:
Sorry Boss Embarassed


Where?!

Is Jema in here ???!!!

Shocked

I'm off to hide ......


Jema isn't scary, well not until you meet him Shocked

I'll get me coat.
Penny Outskirts

pricey wrote:
Good idea I'm up for it, one small problem though, I'm still here Sad


So are we, but at least you're further down the road than we are!!!!
pricey

Penny wrote:
pricey wrote:
Good idea I'm up for it, one small problem though, I'm still here Sad


So are we, but at least you're further down the road than we are!!!!


Only 90 miles Laughing
Blue Sky

pricey wrote:
Penny wrote:
simon wrote:
So ..... getting back on topic Laughing Laughing Laughing


Sorry Boss Embarassed


Laughing

I think that's a great name.

That makes it clear and will keep every thing in one place. As more people joining the site from abroad find the section, they can post questions regarding things abroad etc..... , and everyone on ds can post suggestions / questions etc... It will keep every thing in one place, not scatter it about.

I don't know about everyone, but some times I miss posts which are quite interesting, so trying to find the foreign ones, well Shocked .

Am I making any sense, if not please tell me Embarassed


I agree that we may need to start a seperate post for introductions. It is a great idea so - Penny please be my guest Wink

Look forward to seeing what others are up to and where they are located in these foreign regions.

Simon
pureportugal

sorry simon ... back on topic ... yes i think downsizing abroad is a very good title

also like your idea penny for everyone to do a brief intro - perhaps these could go in a seperate topic called intros or sumfink

sorry simon ... back off topic (my curiosity´s got the better of me) which property was it penny?
pricey

Nice to meet you tigger, Italy is mmmm..... I worked in Sardinia for 5 1/2 years, some of the best, I would have moved there but Rita wanted to be able to speak the lingo, so Portugal it is.
pureportugal

i just got a text from my friend who lives the other side of the village - i'm going out with her on friday - and her text says she can meet me either at the top of the track to her forest or at the top of the track to my forest .... it's little things like this that give me a warm glowy feeling inside about downsizing abroad ... wouldn't get a text message like that back in a uk council estate !!!
pricey

pureportugal wrote:
i just got a text from my friend who lives the other side of the village - i'm going out with her on friday - and her text says she can meet me either at the top of the track to her forest or at the top of the track to my forest .... it's little things like this that give me a warm glowy feeling inside about downsizing abroad ... wouldn't get a text message like that back in a uk council estate !!!


Laughing Laughing I wouldn't like to walk Adam's track on a dark rainy night would you Shocked
Penny Outskirts

pureportugal wrote:
sorry simon ... back off topic (my curiosity´s got the better of me) which property was it penny?


Think it was this one, but may have been an earlier one, that's been sold now. Pricey might remember, he seems to know your property portfolio off by heart Shocked Wink

I've started an introduction thread off now......
tigger

Just read on the introductions thread about penny's plans to move.
What about you pricey? when are you coming over?
pricey

tigger wrote:
Just read on the introductions thread about penny's plans to move.
What about you pricey? when are you coming over?


Well it was going to be May, but ( there is always a but ) we are waiting for the plans to be passed, yawn, so it might not be. I realy dont want to move the girl's in the middle of summer, so it maybe the end of Sept.
Blue Sky

pricey wrote:
tigger wrote:
Just read on the introductions thread about penny's plans to move.
What about you pricey? when are you coming over?


Well it was going to be May, but ( there is always a but ) we are waiting for the plans to be passed, yawn, so it might not be. I realy dont want to move the girl's in the middle of summer, so it maybe the end of Sept.


Bleedin' 'ell mate

These rabbits will be HUGE by then Shocked

You might be plucking ducks instead Wink

S
Blue Sky

tigger wrote:
Hi everyone!
I'm all on my tod here in Italy (as far as DS company is concerned)
and sometimes feel a bit "foreign" on the main Downsizer site, but we're all foreign here!
Been out in Italy for 20 years now, Italian OH, 3 bilingual children aged 17, 11 and 6 and a miserably small garden unfit for any DS purpose, but we're working on a move..... Very Happy


See Tigger ... you are not alone

Two more members just joined us that are residing in Italy also Very Happy

Welcome to the continental section angel_orto & Giulia.

Please visit the introductions page to tell us a bit about you!
pricey

simon wrote:
pricey wrote:
tigger wrote:
Just read on the introductions thread about penny's plans to move.
What about you pricey? when are you coming over?


Well it was going to be May, but ( there is always a but ) we are waiting for the plans to be passed, yawn, so it might not be. I realy dont want to move the girl's in the middle of summer, so it maybe the end of Sept.


Bleedin' 'ell mate

These rabbits will be HUGE by then Shocked

You might be plucking ducks instead Wink


S



Very Happy Very Happy I dont mind plucking anything Laughing sorry im late tonight, been a mare at work, have I missed much, going to have a read.
Millymollymandy

Hi all! I thought from Simon's invite it was to a completely new forum; hadn't realised it was a new part of Downsizer. That's better because I am registered with far too many forums as it is! I do look in at Downsizer from time to time but now with this foreign section I shall make more effort!
pricey

Millymollymandy wrote:
Hi all! I thought from Simon's invite it was to a completely new forum; hadn't realised it was a new part of Downsizer. That's better because I am registered with far too many forums as it is! I do look in at Downsizer from time to time but now with this foreign section I shall make more effort!


Hi, hope you are both well, I suppose Simon has explained to you what this is all about.

So any idea's or suggestions you mat have will be a great help, and a step forward to getting this little part of the forum to go public.
pricey

Every time I come home there are more new people.

Hi Thos, what do you think.

Hi also to Just Jane & Merlinn, hope you enjoy downsizer as much as we all do.
Penny Outskirts

pricey wrote:
Every time I come home there are more new people.

Hi Thos, what do you think.

Hi also to Just Jane & Merlinn, hope you enjoy downsizer as much as we all do.


I know - it's wonderful, welcome to you all Very Happy
tigger

Hi everyone! Nice to know about you all! Smile
Went

Hi all, trying to catch up on the background to both downsizer.net and downsizer abroad......love it. We are new to this and hope to get to know more about everything in the coming months. I will post an introduction to who we are and what we are doing in the new section.

Moving permanantly to our house in Asturias - Northern Spain April19th........counting down the days.
pricey

Hi lr100td5, is that what you drive? I've got a disco me self great machines.

Welcome to the forum, we value your input greatly.

Steve
Treacodactyl

This section is now open to the public!
pricey

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Welcome to the new section all, please have a read and let us know what you all think, all of your input will be grateful.

Steve
sally_in_wales

ooh how exciting! I know Wales isnt abroad, but I've been to 'foreign parts; a couple of times in the last year and I was absolutely fascinated with the 'concept' of moving elsewhere and growing things that don't require half a mountain and buckets of rain to survive, so it will be really interesting to compare how the Downsizers Abroad are doing things compared to soggy old Wales.
Blue Sky

Treacodactyl wrote:
This section is now open to the public!


Hallelujah!

Thanks TD

Sorry if I am not around much this week. We have guests staying - hence me being up at 2.30 am checking my messages Crying or Very sad

I am so pleased to see that the new "downsizing abroad" section is now available for all to see. A big warm welcome to all interested members.

Simon
Cathryn

This is obviously going to be a successful bit of the site - and I am glad that I can still find you all. I have just been scanning the websites - and I am now thinking holidays - must take the children abroad before they all leave home!

hello1 hello2

PS Play fair - where the photos of you all up to your ears in mud or do you want me and Sally to provide those Laughing Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home