Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
OtleyLad

Inverter in need of repair

My inverter has died and is in need of repair. Its a 1500w (3000w peak) pure sine wave 24v).

Does anyone out there know of a company/individual who might be able to fix it for a reasonable cost?
Graham Hyde

Hi Otley Lad.
Have you opened the unit, does it smell of burning?
If yes and yes, possible component burn out, if yes and no check for dry joints. Dry joints can perform well for a long time then just sto....p
Graham Hyde

Sorry Otley Lad, I did assume you had checked the obvious, input, output, fuses, etc
OtleyLad

Graham, there's nothing obviously wrong with it, on start-up it lights up but then switches itself off. A friend who works in the electronic business (as an engineer) had a look inside but again found nothing obviously wrong - he said he would need to test it using some equipment he didn't have to hand.
RichardW

I used these people

Had trouble with damage but that was down to the courier not them.
Graham Hyde

Sorry Otley Lad.

There are some good cheap products that allow your PC to act similar to an oscilloscope and the usual problems with inverters are the caps'. Easy to check.

Might be worthwhile studying up on electronics to boost your electrical skills.
You asked........

Does anyone out there know of a company/individual who might be able to fix it for a reasonable cost?....

Well, yes, you.
Hairyloon

Go on then: recommend a course...
OtleyLad

I used these people

Had trouble with damage but that was down to the courier not them.

Thanks, I'll contact them.
Graham Hyde

Hi HL
Depends on your requirements, but you wouldn't go far wrong in a basic electronicscourse, this type of course would include testing of components.
As to a repair of an inverter, we are not asking someone to design a circuit. We know what the product is supposed to do, the spec sheet will describe the in built features and on visual inspection the components are easily identified.
It is not black magic, the limits are inside one's head and subsequent attitude.
OtleyLad

Sorry Otley Lad.

There are some good cheap products that allow your PC to act similar to an oscilloscope and the usual problems with inverters are the caps'. Easy to check.

You asked........

Does anyone out there know of a company/individual who might be able to fix it for a reasonable cost?....

Well, yes, you.

Argh, not another skill set! I really would like to know how these things work (so I could fix them) but there's a limit to how much time/effort/money I cam devote to all these things. Now if I knew I was going to be fit until I reached 100yrs old I might reconsider...
Graham Hyde

Hi HL, when I say course I did not mean an actual attendance based course but through books. There are literally thousands of books available on this subject.
In this age of the world wide web all information and knowledge is just a series of clicks away.
It was harder in my time. One had to work hard for knowledge.
I had an electrical background but along the way became, a coded welder, certified NDT technician, scaffolder, master steeplejack, refactory brick and spray applied operative and many more manual skills. Took a second degree in Mech Eng, I was considered one of the leaders in the world of MEP protection and designed and MY company installed the system on the American pyramid on the North Yorkshire moors that replaced Fylingdale. I designed the systems on the nuclear sub pens on the west coast of Scotland and the installations at Greenham Common and Upper Heyford. I visited every military installation in the UK.
I taught myself music and earned a living through this for 18 months.
What I haven't done is sat infront of a television and said 'entertain me'.
Every able bodied person has the ability to do and achieve much more than they do.
Nick

This is Hl. He'll want a link to an actual course, or the title of a book, delivered to him. Being general, or vague is no help at all. Wink Falstaff

Try this one :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Servicing-Electronic-Systems-Principles-Circuitry/dp/1856281671/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1428602472&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=sinclair+servicing

It doesn't have an invertor in it - but the principles are good enough to get you a C&G level 2 - which is fine for home repairs of most analogue stuff.

Edit - Damn sight cheaper than when I bought mine too ! Laughing
Hairyloon

This is Hl. He'll want a link to an actual course, or the book, delivered to him.
Well yes, for preference. Wink
Quote:
Being general, or vague is no help at all. Wink

You can generally assume that I can guess the generalities...
Plus there is an awful lot of rubbish out there. The <whatever> for Dummies series is supposed to be quite good, but I recently read the Electronics for Dummies andn I don't think I learned anything. Sad
Duane Dibbley

Do you have the model number and manufacturer ? I work for a power supply manufacturer and have quite a few good contacts depending on the brand.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home