Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Mary-Jane

Ipod thingy - update and new idea

I have finally decided that I simply cannot get on with things stuck in my ears. I find it very uncomfortable and odd. I also can't get my head round been plugged into my Blackberry, or any other iPod thingy by a wire and strapped to my waist somewhere. Okay - I know I'm weird...but Chez *gets* the whole 'things stuck in your ears' issue.

Thus I am now thinking that I will buy some of those big headphones with built in iPlayer and FM radio. Sort of like this but less chavvy...

I know I will probably look a complete [insert insult of choice], but I'm after comfort and the ability to listen to the Archers and Planet Rock whilst out walking, rather than sleek sophistication and making a fashion statement with wires sticking out of my ears.

So can anyone recommend any make in particular?
Penny Outskirts

I know what you mean! Can't be doing with them either. I just have some cheapo ones the are just bigger than my ears and connect over the top of my head.

Encouragingly, they are lable left and right too Very Happy
Mary-Jane

So do they work okay Penny?
sgt.colon

What about the ones that clip over your ear?

Snipped
Mary-Jane

I've tried those too - but ended up breaking them whilst tearing them off in an irritated temper tantrum... Embarassed

I just don't like things dangling around, or stuck in my ears.
sgt.colon

Hmmmmmmm. You need something like this.

Very Happy
Mary-Jane

You're really not taking this seriously are you? Rolling Eyes
Penny Outskirts

They're fine, they look a bit like this

chez

I can't even do those, I'm afraid, not even for the Archers Sad
sgt.colon

Sorry MJ. Embarassed

Beats are some very good headphones but you do pay a premium price for them.

Stupidly long John Lewis link. I mean, how many products do they sell? You could enumerate the atoms in the universe in less space than that.
chez

Stupidly long John Lewis link. I mean, how many products do they sell? You could enumerate the atoms in the universe in less space than that.

Ah, I see that it's Sean's turn to play Link Fairy this afternoon.
Mary-Jane

They're fine, they look a bit like this

But they've got wires on them. I can't go walking with wires trailing from the house...
Mary-Jane

I can't even do those, I'm afraid, not even for the Archers Sad

Really? Oh, that's a shame...

(Whilst we're on the subject, I'm getting rather tired of Hellin's panting over Rob the stockman...)
Mary-Jane

I'm not entirely sure whether I could wear something called Beats™ by Dr. Dre Mixr Rolling Eyes
12Bore

Don't be tempted by cheapo wireless headphones, they are not worth the money.
Sennheiser make nothing but headphones and microphones, both commercial and domestic, I have sold hundreds of pairs of their headphones, they have an extremely low failure rate.
Try these: http://www.richersounds.com/product/all-headphones/sennheiser/rs160/senn-rs160
ETA, just be careful with claimed ranges, for all brands reduce by 50% and it's prolly more accurate...
sean

M-J means a thing like this though. Where the MP3 player and wireless receiver are intrinsic to the pair of over ear headphones. sgt.colon

MJ, you are my mum and I claim my £5. Very Happy

How about these?

http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-and-personal-audio/headphones-and-headsets/wireless-headphones/bose-ae2w-headphones/?mc=05WPS1044

Sean please can you work your beautiful magic again? Rolling Eyes
12Bore

Sorry, I thought that she might enjoy decent (ETA sound) reproduction... Laughing chez

Sorry, I thought that she might enjoy decent (ETA sound) reproduction... Laughing

Is that necessary for The Archers, then?
Mary-Jane

How about these?

£199.95 Surprised Surprised Surprised
Mary-Jane

Sorry, I thought that she might enjoy decent (ETA sound) reproduction... Laughing

Is that necessary for The Archers, then?

Not whilst Hellin's panting in the mega cow shed like a bitch on heat thanks...
sean

Can your butler not follow you at a discreet distance with a stereogram in a wheelbarrow? sgt.colon

Laughing Laughing chez

Surely the gardener, not the butler? Much more scope for a bit of D H Lawrence. sean

That's why the butler maintains a discreet distance. Mary-Jane

I wouldn't mind my plasterer doing the job, but he's 'busy' elsewhere at the moment... Mary-Jane

M-J means a thing like this though. Where the MP3 player and wireless receiver are intrinsic to the pair of over ear headphones.

I do like those Sean. Do they come in a duck egg blue?
sean

No idea, I just googled headphone MP3 radio and followed the amazon result. chez

You could probably whip up some sort of floral cover for them. Mary-Jane

You could probably whip up some sort of floral cover for them.

Hmmmmm...
wellington womble

HELIN?!?!??? A man!? Oh my. It comes to something when you are do out of touch there is a surprise in the Archers of all things. I really must get a life. I keep meaning to catch up.... chez

I reckon we should just get MJ to post a weekly synopsis. We could even have a whip round for floral covers for her head-phone whatsits, if she'd do that. marigold

Why not listen to the birds, the wind in the trees, the trill of a brook, the whine of distant traffic while walking? Why cut yourself off from a chunk of the experience of being out in the open air with recorded sound? Instead of having headphones clamped over your head, feel the breeze in your hair. Empty your mind rather than filling it with more noise... chez

But MARIGOLD! It's THE ARCHERS!! marigold

But MARIGOLD! It's THE ARCHERS!!

It's on twice a day, there's an omnibus edition on Sundays AND it's available on Listen Again... Wink .
Katieowl

I'm with Marigold I'm afraid. I may crank the stereo up in the car, but when I'm out walking I like to hear the cars coming up behind me Rolling Eyes as well as the bird song, and the cows mooing.

The Archers makes me lose the will to live, only knickerless parsons can me hit the off button quicker!

Kate
Mary-Jane

I reckon we should just get MJ to post a weekly synopsis. We could even have a whip round for floral covers for her head-phone whatsits, if she'd do that.

I would be happy to Very Happy
Mary-Jane

I'm with Marigold I'm afraid. I may crank the stereo up in the car, but when I'm out walking I like to hear the cars coming up behind me Rolling Eyes as well as the bird song, and the cows mooing.

I do too in general. But there are times when I want to listen to something comfortably whilst I'm doing something else...like watering the polytunnel.
Mary-Jane

But MARIGOLD! It's THE ARCHERS!!

It's on twice a day, there's an omnibus edition on Sundays AND it's available on Listen Again... Wink .

And your point is Marigold?
Mary-Jane

M-J means a thing like this though. Where the MP3 player and wireless receiver are intrinsic to the pair of over ear headphones.

So I like Sean's suggestion...but would like some that look a bit brighter. But not chavvy. What's a girl to do?
Katieowl

I do too in general. But there are times when I want to listen to something comfortably whilst I'm doing something else...like watering the polytunnel.

Why don't you just inflict erm, I mean listen to it on an ordinary radio? I can't bear anything in or on my ears, headphones pinch.

Kate
gardening-girl

Has visions of MJ walking along carrying a duck egg blue,battery powered, Roberts radio Laughing Laughing Laughing yummersetter

Would the synopsis include The Other Archers, too?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home