Iron Fish

This is brilliant.
BBC Linky
Piggyphile

Agree, what a wonderful idea
dpack

ace but using aluminum pans is a very bad idea imho
vegplot

Being a Sean post with a cryptic title I assumed a band or gig was being promoted.

Great idea!
bagpuss

ace but using aluminum pans is a very bad idea imho

What is wrong with aluminum pans?
dpack

a bit old

but a scholar search for aluminium toxicity will provide enough more recent maybes and certains to justify me abandoning the pans .

if one boils an acidic meal (tomato sauce is a good example )in an al pan there is a serious amount of soluble al compounds added to dinner.

the romans had issues with lead pans ,as stainless steel sheds very little into the food i recon i wont follow in their foot steps either .
dpack

more recent

im a bit rusty (sorry) about the chemistry of the likes of the iron fish boiled in an al pan especially with an acidic food but until it is explained to me i would stick to stainless steel pans with (or without) the fish

the fish seems a good idea but i recon there might be potential hazards if most of the folk who might benefit from the extra fe use al pans
jamanda

The alumininium/alzheimers thing was debunked quite some time ago.
Pilsbury

And i very much doubt the people this is being given to at the moment have a choice of stainless steel cookware.
wellington womble

Brilliant. Are they selling them to help fund the projects? I'd buy one, as I eat much less red meat now.
jamanda

And i very much doubt the people this is being given to at the moment have a choice of stainless steel cookware.

Indeed. It's not aimed at you Dpack. It's aimed at people with dietary anaemia due to poor diet. The amount of moo you eat that's unlikely!
dpack

i understand they dont have a choice of cookware and the reason for the fish.

oddly i have not had much moo recently as i have been working my way through a pig .

red meat has some fe but leafy greens often have more and black pud is better than either.

i thought the jury was still out re the neural damage and al ions.
jamanda

The jury may be out on Al ions, but AlO is pretty damn inert. dpack

having seen what happens to al metal in salty or acidic and wet conditions i recon al3+ ions replacing fe3+ from the fish are a distinct possibility if cooking many foods in an ali pan

aluminium citrate (or chloride )would not be my condiment of choice

does the chemistry of that seem plausible ?
jamanda

But if there is a layer of Aluminium oxide, it doesn't matter what would happen to Aluminium. dpack

if one thinks about a beer tin on a beach the surface layer is rather fragile in salty conditions

prod the smile Laughing

abstract

well heat and salt or acid seem increase the amount of al dissolving as expected,i wonder what happens when the fe 2 or 3 ions interact in the contents of such a system.?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home