Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
bulworthy project

Is that rainforest burning on your barbecue?

Hello
We're in the process of setting up a new website to promote sustainably made charcoal in Devon. We hope to help to cut down the amount of unethically sourced imported charcoal by encouraging more people to make charcoal as well as buy it. The website is http://www.devoncharcoal.co.uk . It has a description of how to make charcoal with some pictures from Bulworthy Project charcoal making courses. We intend to put some information on how to use charcoal. We would really appreciate comments and suggestions. Either posted here or emailed to charcoal@devoncharcoal.co.uk
Rob R

I'm just in the process of putting together small 'barbeque sized' pork boxes, and as we go to so much lengths to ensure there isn't any rainforest in our pork, perhaps we ought to include a leaflet with the boxes to promote British sustainable charcoal... Smile
Penny Outskirts

What a co-incidence, OH and I were dicsussing charcoal making one the way home this evening Smile

I'll send him a link to your site.

Very Happy
mochyn

We buy charcoal made near here for our barbecue.
Rob R

Nice to see, from the pictures of the bags, that you burn badgers for charcoal - very sustainable Wink
Bebo

Nope, calorgas.
Behemoth

Fewer charcoal miles.

As it's the first nice weekend of the year I expect the students will be setting fire to anything combustible tonight in an effort to cremate food. Did you know that disposable bbqs become invisible after use and can simply be left where you used it.
bulworthy project

Fewer charcoal miles.

Duly noted and corrected.
bulworthy project

Nice to see, from the pictures of the bags, that you burn badgers for charcoal - very sustainable Wink

We will look out for some good barbecued badger recipies to go on the site.
Penny Outskirts

How many kilos do you get from an average burn BP? Rob R

That will have hedgehogs everywhere rejoicing wav
Penny Outskirts

That will have hedgehogs everywhere rejoicing wav

Rolling Eyes

Laughing
bulworthy project

How many kilos do you get from an average burn BP?

About 160-170kg
Hairyloon

Being pedantic, I had understood that the majority of dodgy imported charcoal is from mangroves, not rainforests.
Arguably they are actually more important.
Mr O

Over here most use propane BBQs. I am trying slowly and carefully to retroconvert them to charcoal. Preferably Nova Scotia produced Charcoal. bulworthy project

Being pedantic, I had understood that the majority of dodgy imported charcoal is from mangroves, not rainforests.
Arguably they are actually more important.

I'm not sure how much comes from one or the other. It is hard to find accurate data because importers are somewhat reluctant to say. We talk about rainforest more than mangrove swamps because people understand the issues better.
Ty Gwyn

Thinking about this,if as you say the imported charcoal is from the Rain Forests,does that not equate to be made in the main from Hard Wood waste,therefore on parr with local hardwoods on quality?

Although i m with you all the way on reducing imports.
bulworthy project

You would think so. We were suprised to find out what poor quality charcoal comes from the rainforest. mahogony, teak etc are just too dense to make good charcoal. they don't light easily and therefore need to have chemical accelerants added. Even with these additives they take a lot longer to reach cooking temperature. Nicky cigreen

just back from a beach bbq breakfast - we used Devon charcoal - from Sharpham. robkb

A few years ago I bought several bags from the Hampshire Coppice Group, which is excellent stuff. Hairyloon

OTOH, I was in the Coop yesterday where they are selling fair-trade certified charcoal.

There is a very valid argument that if the countries with rainforest cannot make money out of rainforest, then they'll cut it down and grow something else.
Nick

OTOH, I was in the Coop yesterday where they are selling fair-trade certified charcoal.

There is a very valid argument that if the countries with rainforest cannot make money out of rainforest, then they'll cut it down and grow something else.

This is true, but it gets cut down either way. Presumably, the best route is one that pays them more to keep it standing. I guess if it can be managed, and cropped, and kept this is an answer.
Hairyloon

This is true, but it gets cut down either way.
Not exactly, assuming we have faith in the certification, then we know the charcoal has come from properly managed sources, in which case it is no different from OP's charcoal, except for the mileage.
Nick

You just decide to remove the caveat I included about it being properly managed and cropped for fun?

Charcoal is not covered by the Fair Trade certification scheme.
Hairyloon

Charcoal is not covered by the Fair Trade certification scheme.
Then what are the Fair Trade marks on the Coop's charcoal?
Do you think they are fraudulent? Surprised
sean

It would appear to be 'fairly traded' not Fair Trade certified. Linky Hairyloon

It would appear to be 'fairly traded' not Fair Trade certified. Linky
Works for me. I think I trust the co-op that far.
bulworthy project

I also trust the co-op that far and as production of charcoal in Britain is not currently sufficient to stop importing it, it is a great step forward to import sustainably made charcoal.

It is still better to buy local, sustainably produced charcoal.

I would say that wouldn't I
Hairyloon

It is still better to buy local, sustainably produced charcoal.

I would say that wouldn't I
I'd be disappointed if you didn't. Wink
sean

On the other hand they're selling Magic Instant Lighting Charcoal. I'm pretty sure that it's neither magic nor instant. Hairyloon

On the other hand they're selling Magic Instant Lighting Charcoal. I'm pretty sure that it's neither magic nor instant.
I doubt that it gives off a lot of light either.
Rob R

It's harder than you think, buying local charcoal - I contacted a local charcoal maker but they wouldn't tell me where I could buy it because they are selling enough & don't want to advertise their stockists because people may approach them & undercut them. Sad So perhaps Yorkshire charcoal is out of the window & I better start using Devon charcoal. Nicky cigreen

i found a number of places to buy locally produced charcoal just by going to independent shops - local petrol stations often sell it, as do some of the butchers round here. Rob R

I think I'll look out for an alternative local charcoal maker who would appreciate the extra business. Hairyloon

I think I'll look out for an alternative local charcoal maker who would appreciate the extra business.
How much are you wanting?
Rob R

I think I'll look out for an alternative local charcoal maker who would appreciate the extra business.
How much are you wanting?

None, personally, I just want to advise customers of where they can get it locally.
bulworthy project

I can't pretend that I know any more than he is a charcoal maker and he is based in Yorkshire, but you could try:
http://www.leedswoodcraft.co.uk/
Rob R

I can't pretend that I know any more than he is a charcoal maker and he is based in Yorkshire, but you could try:
http://www.leedswoodcraft.co.uk/

Excellent, thanks Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home