Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
sally_in_wales

Is there a market for fine art Wine and Preserves labels?

Most of you I think have had me wave my brother's website at you in the past. Both he and his wife are wildlife artists of the very highest calibre, and I'm trying to persuade them to do a series of labels that could be used for wine or preserves, all lavishly illustrated and professionally printed. The sort of thing that could turn a jar of jam or a bottle of wine into a visual delight from every angle.

However, just cos I think its a good idea doesnt mean anyone else would necessarily buy such a thing. So I'm just sounding out thoughts on the topic. What I'm suggesting to them at present would be a squarish label, of a size to work well on both wine bottles of jamjars, with initially a single fruit or flower name ('blackberry', 'apple', 'elderberry' etc) and with a really lovely illustration that captures not only the ingredient itself but also hints at the hedgerows and wildlife associated with it. Below this, there would be a neat space for date, additional notes etc.

Course, they can also do bespoke work, so if you wanted a custom label for your wine designing with a one off design around a blank space for any variety, that might be an option too, but initially I think they would find a small but worthwhile market in really high quality, visually stunning but unpretentious labels that celebrate the best of local ingredients.

Daft idea, good idea, any thoughts on quantities, design and pricing that would make it attractive?
Mrs Fiddlesticks

does sound a nice idea. Honey jar labels would be another good one - something different from Thornes ideas.
alisjs

no doubt it would be a lovely product....just depends whether people are willing to pay enough to make it viable , I reckon
jema

and we are probably a frugal lot in this regard!
Mrs Fiddlesticks

alisjs wrote:
no doubt it would be a lovely product....just depends whether people are willing to pay enough to make it viable , I reckon

I know what you mean but if the art work was done once and then printed. Its not as if we want an oil original for our bottle of Chateau du Fiddlesticks 07
alisjs

Quote:
and we are probably a frugal lot in this regard!

frugal is a nice way of putting it!!!!!
wellington womble

Sort of 'Nigel and Elizabeth' labels (didn't they do just that in the archers? clearly you need archers fans of the higher income bracket. Wonder where you find them?)
@Calli

Lost in their website. Spectacular - especially the movement of the rivers ..

I would buy for the label alone Very Happy
bernie-woman

I think it would be a great idea - depending somewhat on cost

Beautiful pictures though - the picture of the owl against the night sky is lovely Very Happy
Helen_A

Sounds like an idea perfect for selling through National Trust shops (and the back of Private Eye for a small run)...

Helen_A
Maxwell Smart

Two thoughts -

1) The quality of the product would need to match the labels! But presuming that is the case you could have quite a nice product to sell into quality food shops.
2) For a long time Château Mouton Rothschild has been doing it with commissions from the likes of Picasso, Balthus, Warhol, Moore, Dali, etc... since 1924 to be precise when he commissioned Jean Carlu to do the labels.

The Baron was one of the first people to start bottline and labeling his own wine in the area and this became their trademark. So that BPDR wines of a particular vintage often sell for more than similar wines strictly because of the collectable nature of the labels.

You can see some of the newer labels at www.theartistlabels.com

So all in all go for it!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home