Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
earthyvirgo

Is there any point complaining ...

We (WiSS) gave a long standing client a 'good price' on a package of work last week on the promise of very prompt payment.

Prompt payment didn't materialise, so I politely chased it up earlier today.

I have now received an email which says that one of the items ... a small website - in the package deal (the most expensive item) has now been offered free of charge by another company.

The total sum was not large by any means but I am particularly disappointed because I feel we've been blatantly taken advantage of.

We'll get paid for the work done but the largest component is now missing.

I'm considering adjusting the original prices because the goalposts have been moved and I had started putting some ideas on paper for the website but wonder if my energy would be better spent elsewhere.

If I let it go, will he just continue to take advantage of other small businesses goodwill?

EV
12Bore

As I read it, you tendered for a job and the tender was accepted by the client's agreeing to pay an agreed fee (assuming that you have a record of this) therefore the client entered into a contract.
Client has now been offered a "better" deal and wishes to break the contract they have with you.
I would suggest that you are entitled to the agreed contract, or compensation from the client for breaking it.
Yes, complain on the grounds of breach of contract, just as the client would have done had you delivered something other that what was agreed.
Went

It depends on how important the client is to WiSS. Perhaps you could contact the client and suggest that the work already completed should be paid for - a proportional amount?
alison

Have you done the website already.

If so, charge for it.

If not it is your call, but they don't get favourable rates again, for a long time.
Barefoot Andrew

The terms of the original agreement have changed. I would have no qualms in adjusting the price for the remaining work accordingly.
A.
Penny Outskirts

Happens to us a lot, it's a right pain. We always adjust the price, as long as we were very clear at the start that this would happen if they changed the quantity substantially.
earthyvirgo

I'm not going to get all emotional (honestly) about this but I do think I've got a responsibility not just to WiSS but to other small businesses not to let this sort of behaviour go by without a whisper.

EV
earthyvirgo

Happens to us a lot, it's a right pain. We always adjust the price, as long as we were very clear at the start that this would happen if they changed the quantity substantially.

Both parties were very clear that the 'good price' was based on a the whole package Penny.

EV
Hairyloon

Both parties were very clear that the 'good price' was based on a the whole package Penny.

Then charge them the agreed price. As 12 Bore says: that is the contract.
RichardW

I agree, its either the full package at the agreed rate or the reduced items at the standard rate. Nature'sgrafter

Do you have any of this agreement written down and or acknowledged by the client on paper or email. If so you have a contract charge them full price in an invoice giving them X days to pay if they don't just take them to a small claims court it costs next to nothing to start the ball rolling and you are entitled to costs back when you win.
Harsh maybe but business is business there is no such thing as friends when it comes to money owed that they wont pay. Oh and if you lose them as a future client so what they would only try to screw you again in another way.
welsh veg grower

just as a note what about saying payment is up front for special deals in the future.

as for this time you need to decide if you want to provide anything at all to the client. You may now say if they dont buy all of it then you cant provide any of it. I know this means you get none of the income but maybe thats best if they are the type to use you anyway.

also if you decide to force them to pay what could / sould / may they do to your reputation and take up your time / energy dealing with it.

your call but some things are best left to a polite message to say thanks but no thanks.
Chez

as for this time you need to decide if you want to provide anything at all to the client. You may now say if they dont buy all of it then you cant provide any of it. I know this means you get none of the income but maybe thats best if they are the type to use you anyway.

I agree with this. I think that sometimes some clients are just not worth the hassle and it's more time-effective to run away from them very fast at the first opportunity.

I do agree that you no longer have any obligation to stick to your previous prices, given their behaviour. And that you should put everything in writing from this point onwards.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home