Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Gary

is there..

an authority for small holders or down sizers?

By this I mean like the farmers union or similar - something set up to help and advise small holders and down sizers.

Somewhere to offer advice to the new smallholder and grants and such as well as to offer a platform for the more established small holding.

Maybe somewhere to look for places up for sale or rent even?

Sorry big question but as you can see I have a lot to learn!
Naomi

http://www.cla.org.uk/ Is this the kind of thing you mean?

There are lots independant advisers out there as well as clubs and societies ,courses etc

It depends what you want from them?
Naomi

How could I have overlooked DEFRA???

http://www.defra.gov.uk/
tahir

Re: is there..

Gary wrote:
an authority for small holders or down sizers?

By this I mean like the farmers union or similar - something set up to help and advise small holders and down sizers.

Somewhere to offer advice to the new smallholder and grants and such as well as to offer a platform for the more established small holding.

Maybe somewhere to look for places up for sale or rent even?

Sorry big question but as you can see I have a lot to learn!

Not really, part of the reason why sites like this are so important, we've got people on board that have all sorts of experiences.

The first thing you've got to establish is whether you want to live on your land, the second is your budget.
Gary

Cheers for the links Naomi - and Tahir.

Presently I'm still at the research and learning stage but the plan is forming - hopefully I can run the bushcraft shop and school along side the small holding ect but it's all about still hypothetical at present.

I agree about the improtance of this site too - already I am finding out stuff I never dreamed of.
tahir

Gary wrote:
I agree about the improtance of this site too - already I am finding out stuff I never dreamed of.

Not just this one, there's others too. It's just the sharing of knowledge that's so useful.

Essex is a tough place to find a bargain, spose the cheapest places are out past Laindon or Maldon way. Would you want to stay local? Apparently Suffolk and Lincs are both a lot cheaper.
Gary

I'm sure your right there mate - essex would cripple me in buying a place - phase 1 of the plan is to move north of Colly maybe into Norfolk - phase 2 is a workshop and office even maybe a small shop - phase three the chickens and spuds!!
Naomi

Yes, Sunny Lincs is definitely an option you should consider.

Property prices have risen here lately ,but it is still very competitive compared to other counties and has a growing number of smallholders ,which is helping it develop a lovely community feeling.Lots of trading/bartering goes on and it is a bit like taking a step back in time Smile

Oh and it is served by a great smallholders club too!!! Wink Laughing
Gary

the step back in time bit sold it to me Naomi - thats the key for me - escape the rat race, hard days work for a honest reward!
Naomi

Well you certainly escape the rat race here Laughing Laughing

It is a well know saying locally that 'If it doesn't get done today there's always tomorrow''.Nothing gets rushed here and the pace of life generally is far slower than I experienced when I lived in Surrey and Sussex.

The majority of houses/cottages here still all have working open fires , some are lucky enough to have kitchen ranges too and private drainage(septic tanks and cess pits) are the norm so you get to be a dab hand with drain rods!!! Confused Laughing
Most villages do not have a mains gas supply either, but we do have electricity ..honest! Very Happy
Nearly everyone in the rural areas grows some food and it is common to see tables set up everywhere with produce for sale.
When I first moved here my new neighbours greeted me with gifts of fruit and veg from their gardens .They have helped me out so many times in a crisis(I seem to be really good at having my share of crisis's) and they even put on a huge bonfire and BBQ to welcome us into the village. Now that was lovely!!I got very merry too Embarassed

I like the Lincs folk. They stop to chat. (It takes ages to do your shopping as they all want to talk .)Old men tip their hats at you as you walk by..It is truly like taking a step back in time.

The locals are unpretentious and you get what you see.They are also happy to speak their minds, but that makes life easy as you know exactly where you stand them.

So...............Have I sold it to you yet? Wink Very Happy Very Happy
JPBearclaw

Right when are we moving me baggy old mate!! I have always fancied a B+B with a stables and woodland for bushcraft courses ect may be a veggi plot and some live stock, but things like this need carefull concideration and bank managers help, what about joint ventures? would that be an option what do you think?
Gary

lol we've talked about it often enough mate and I have my heart set on it - once bearclaw is soundly established you know the trail I indeed to go down!

Outdoor life - Live it and love it - ah a new motto! Very Happy
Gary

Naomi wrote:
Well you certainly escape the rat race here Laughing Laughing

It is a well know saying locally that 'If it doesn't get done today there's always tomorrow''.Nothing gets rushed here and the pace of life generally is far slower than I experienced when I lived in Surrey and Sussex.

The majority of houses/cottages here still all have working open fires , some are lucky enough to have kitchen ranges too and private drainage(septic tanks and cess pits) are the norm so you get to be a dab hand with drain rods!!! Confused Laughing
Most villages do not have a mains gas supply either, but we do have electricity ..honest! Very Happy
Nearly everyone in the rural areas grows some food and it is common to see tables set up everywhere with produce for sale.
When I first moved here my new neighbours greeted me with gifts of fruit and veg from their gardens .They have helped me out so many times in a crisis(I seem to be really good at having my share of crisis's) and they even put on a huge bonfire and BBQ to welcome us into the village. Now that was lovely!!I got very merry too Embarassed

I like the Lincs folk. They stop to chat. (It takes ages to do your shopping as they all want to talk .)Old men tip their hats at you as you walk by..It is truly like taking a step back in time.

The locals are unpretentious and you get what you see.They are also happy to speak their minds, but that makes life easy as you know exactly where you stand them.

So...............Have I sold it to you yet? Wink Very Happy Very Happy

LOL Naomi it all sounds really idealic - especially as I've probably got a few exarmy buddies around there - I know a few guys living around Grantham and Ashby del a zouce (sp?) ect - feet on ground time of course in this world things need financial conciderations but yes I think I will be casting an eye toward Linc now too - many thanks.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home