Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
whitelegg1

Is this rabbit OK to eat??? Not for the squeamish!

Managed to bag two bunnies this morning, despite the bitter cold, and the frost making it sound like I was walking round with my feet in packets of cornflakes!!!!

On inspection on of the bunnies, a male, whilst on the whole in fine fettle.......

Has an unpleasant growth about an inch and a half long and almost half an inch wide, just in fron of his meat and two veg.

The state of these were such that if it was mine, I would be off to the docs straight away!!!

Is it all right to eat, obviously discarding aforsaid unpleasant bits, or is it chuck the lot in the bin!!! Crying or Very sad

Look away if you're squeamish!!!!

dpack

section the growth ,see what it is ,
probably bunny edible but if poorly wont be in good eating order
whitelegg1

Move aside Quincy MD, Whitelegg1 is putting his lab coat on.....

What am I likely to find???

What would be good news, what would be bad news????

Pete
mihto

I would not eat a rabbit with any symptoms of disease. Swelling can be either abcess or tumor. In any case a rabbit thrown away is not a disaster. Taking a chance by eating sick animals is just not neccessary.
mihto

whitelegg1 wrote:
Move aside Quincy MD, Whitelegg1 is putting his lab coat on.....

What am I likely to find???

What would be good news, what would be bad news????

Pete

Post your findings and a good picture and we will give you some advice. Also look at the internal organs of the rabbit (lungs, heart, liver, kidneys, peritoneum) and see if there are any nodules there.
whitelegg1

Fair enough.

Whitelegg2 was saying the same.

I have a problem with not eating what I shoot.

But must also consider the bigger picture!
No point in making myself or Whiteleggs 2,3&4 ill for the sake of it!

Thanks

Pete
tahir

You mean we've got diseased rabbits? Shocked
Jonnyboy

Eh? Rabbits get disease, tumors, whatever just like lots of mammals.

Personally I wouldn't eat it, just to be on the safe side.
whitelegg1

tahir wrote:
You mean we've got diseased rabbits? Shocked

I shall be asking them to roll over for a quick inspection BEFORE I shoot them next time!!!! Wink

You also have a very healthy looking fox, who has a habit of going everywhere I'm about to go before I get there!!! Crying or Very sad

AND a very tasty looking muntjac !! Shame, I don't have that permission / correct FAC / suitable rifle !!! Would have made a lovely Sunday roast.

And is there any chance of some undersoil heating, it was very cold yesterday morning, and unpleasant to lie down on the grass!!!

Pete Smile
tahir

whitelegg1 wrote:
I shall be asking them to roll over for a quick inspection BEFORE I shoot them next time!!!! Wink

That's what I'd do. The muntjac do indeed look v tasty, the kids agree. I do wish I could blinking shoot.
dpack

deer are ace but they will eat the trees
get a fac and training,tasty critters Wink
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home