Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
fatboy

It's a cracker! But not as we know it. Unidentified Bolete.

Can anybody give me an idea what these are?

When I picked them I thought they were probably yellow crackers (Leccinum Crocipodium), but on closer inspection, there were some major differences. Firstly, the top of the stem was covered with a reticulate pattern, like a cep, rather than the scales of a Leccinum. So it’s not a Leccinum. Secondly, the cracking pattern is completely different with patches growing in a similar fashion to the plates on a tortoise’s carapace. Cracks form from a very early stage. Also, on cutting the cap, the pores turned blue as did some of the flesh.

Any ideas anyone?

Needless to say, I was unable to convince the present Mrs. Fatboy of their culinary value.

[/img]
bubble

nearest I make it is Leccinum crocipodium [R.Courtecuisse & B. Duhem] with Quercus -oak.
Mafro

I've never seen the tops cracked like that but my first thought was Boletus radicans.
fatboy

On advice from Fungitobewith I tasted it to see whether or not it was bitter. He suggested it might be either B. appendiculatus or B. radicans. The latter being bitter.

It certaitainly wasn't bitter, though I might be if my tongue drops off and the present Mrs. Fatboy might be if it doesn't.

If I ignore the cracks, as he also suggested, it does fit in with B. appendiculatus. Right down to the yellow recticulation on the top of the stem.

I'm going to keep an eye out for some fresh ones after the rain to see if they grow without the cracks.
Mafro

Radicans has tight really small yellow pores, bruises blue when cut but the blue fades over time, the top looks cracked and it also has a root, hence why I thought radicans. It is also bitter, although I found some last week that were not anywhere near as bitter as some I found last year.
fatboy

I went back to the site to look for fresh examples, but there weren't any just yet. Lots of old, but nothing new.

Looking around the site there are two large patches of them 20m apart. One with oak which supports either either species, but the other with hornbeam, which pionts to radicans.

I'm beginning to wonder whether the bitterness had worn off in my old specimens or whether my taste buds are now so jaded that I didn't notice they were foul.

Also, comparing the photographs on boletales.com, I think mine look closer to radicans. Not an acid test, I realise.

I await fresh specimens.

http://boletales.com/genera/boletus/b-radicans/
http://boletales.com/genera/boletus/b-appendiculatus/
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home