Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
tarabella

It's Hay Making Time

I bit the bullet and got the equipment out today and have mowed the first field. Early, I know, but I dont want to be caught out like last year. I just hope the weather holds for a few days Rolling Eyes
misty07

few people around here iv seen mainly silage but a few fields have gone to hay good luck ours aint being done till next month so say
gil

Mainly mowing for silage going on round these parts (well, west ,and north more coastwards). Saw one field that had been cut for hay.

Silaging in the immediate area won;t start for another week or two.
LynneA

Some of the farms near us already have hay & haylage baled.
frewen

What's the difference mowing for hay and for silage? Only because I'm flashing my ignorance Embarassed
misty07

no difference in mowing just left longer for hay
gz

So haylage is a cross between the two?
gil

So haylage is a cross between the two?

Kind of, yes, but in bags ( I think), not bales.

Silage that is going to be bagged into bales or rolled in a silage pit is mown, and the rows of mown grass are then pushed together, ready to be gathered up and either baled and bagged / taken to the silage pit.
Provided it is dry enough, grass cut for silage does not need to be tedded (spread out and turned) in the field. Here, it is cut one morning, and carted to the pit the next day.

Grass for hay is spread out in the field once cut, and turned several times over a few days with a haybob to dry out in sun and wind. You need to get it really quite dry before baling/stacking, otherwise it will go mouldy.

Haylage has more moisture in than hay but less than silage, and it is baled in plastic bags.
alison

Really basically

Hay is dried grass, and needs to be dry enough, so that when it is baled it can be stored, under cover, without any wrap

Hayledge is a bit wetter, maybe baled the day before hay would be. Because it is wetter it needs wrapping, to keep the air out.

Silage is much wetter, although it has a nice smell, if made well. It is either wrapped in bales, or clamped, in a pit. You may see the trailers of grass, which are taking it for the clamp. Silage ferments slightly, but spoils quickly.
Pel

A lot round by me have mowed their fields (I didnt see what they have done it for just that the grass had been cut) in the dry weather in April and in early May. There was a lot going on for silage on Thursday, lots of tractors and trailers.
gz

The haylage we were giving the ponies smelt sweet Smile
T.G

Haylage made well smells delightful, the only slightly better smell is that of well made meadow hay, that's the scent of summer.

Haylage needs to be kept airtight if the bag is breached then it rots and spoils quickly.
alison

Haylage made well smells delightful, the only slightly better smell is that of well made meadow hay, that's the scent of summer.

Haylage needs to be kept airtight if the bag is breached then it rots and spoils quickly.

I think all three, when made well smell lovely. I find them all very heady.
tarabella

Well, managed to mow, cure and bale, and all before the rain came Very Happy gil

That must be a relief !
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home