Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Bungo

Jacob 4 horn X Jacob 2 horn

Currently have Jacobs 2 horn sheep, wondered what would be the outcome of introducing a 4 horn ram. What would the offspring be ?

Guessing a mixture of 2 and 4 horn ?

Any idea , anyone ?
dpack

2 x 4=8 Laughing
Bungo

LOL , I'm worried it will come out as average, and give 3 horned unicorn style sheep Smile
Mutton

Research what is dominant and what is recessive in Jacob sheep genetics.

We keep Soay and the different colours and patterns have a hierarchy. So dark mouflon is most likely, light mouflon next, after that self colours (no white tummy) and white patches on noses and feet, then body etc. - but I think white patches rank above self coloured would have to check that.
And every so often you get a surprise when the recessives happen to line up and a brown mother with a couple of small white patches pops out a white one with a black patch for example.

So my guess is a mixture of two horn and four horn Jacobs, but not necessarily. You might find they all come out two horn, but if you are cross breeding inside your flock in a generation or two an occasional four horn pops out. (I am assuming that four horn is more recessive than two horn - but that is a guess.)
May also depend on whether your two horn flock has four horn in the ancestry. Is there a flock book? If yes, you could look through the registered animals and see what happens with two and four horn combos.
Cathryn

We think the two horn is dominant. We have some Jacobs, all with two.
dpack

nearly all the ones that conservation graze stanton moor have 2,fierce wee things and very hardy.

i still like the idea of an 8 pointer Laughing
Cathryn

Yes and can I watch you shear it or discuss worming with it? Smile
Bungo

Love our Jacob 2 horns , but would like to customize a bit Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home