Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
sean

Japanese Knotweed control...

There's to be a trial release of something that eats it apparently. BBC Hope it works and doesn't develop a taste for something else.
ksia

What could possibly go wrong!?
Tavascarow

I've recently thought that instead of trying to eradicate it we should be harnessing its potential as a biomass.
Seeing the way it grows around here I'm sure it's more productive than willow or miscanthus & on very poor soils that wouldn't support much else.
Katieowl

Apparently it's delicious....

We have a small patch in our garden. I thought I might try making it my new favorite food. That should virtually guarentee a crop failure???

Kate
12Bore

Why do I get twitchy at the idea of introducing a non-native species as a form of "natural" control....... http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A12945017

Edited to fix link
cab

When young its very tasty.

Anyway... Cabi biosciences have been working on this, testing their bug against a very diverse selection of native and non-native plants. It is, of course, possible that this bug will eventually find a plant it wants to chomp on as well as Japanese knotweed, but if their data is correct its not THAT likely.

This isn't going to eradicate Knotweed. But it might slow it down or help control it. And its VERY unlikely that this beasty will do anything like as much harm as knotweed does.
ksia

cab wrote:
When young its very tasty.

Anyway... Cabi biosciences have been working on this, testing their bug against a very diverse selection of native and non-native plants. It is, of course, possible that this bug will eventually find a plant it wants to chomp on as well as Japanese knotweed, but if their data is correct its not THAT likely.

This isn't going to eradicate Knotweed. But it might slow it down or help control it. And its VERY unlikely that this beasty will do anything like as much harm as knotweed does.

(sigh) have we learnt nothing ....?

ksia

cab wrote:

Anyway... Cabi biosciences

You have a subsidiary?
Andy B

Dont you treat it like asparagus?
Fee

I woke up to Happy having a rant about this this morning, must have been on the news on the radio Laughing
cab

Andy B wrote:
Dont you treat it like asparagus?

You kind of can with the really young shoots. Grilled with oil and a tiny bit of sugar on to caramelise. I don't like that though; I like it harvested very young and treated more like rhubarb.

Of course to transport it, even to eat, is generally considered illegal. So I can't condone making, say, Japanese knotweed wine. Just so long as we're understood. Its strangely like rhubarb wine. Not that I'd suggest breaking the law, you understand...
dpack

cane toads were a splendid idea Laughing
Marts

Here's the full information and report from CABI (PDF)

Knotweed
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Array