Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Jam Lady

Jerk Chicken

Very delicious. Have made this with chicken thighs, skin on and bone in. also chicken wingettes and boneless pork. I broil them under an infra red broiler in oven but you need to be careful not to blacken. Barbecue grill also an option.

Here's the actual ingredient list:

2 tablespoons allspice berries
1 tablespoon thyme leaves
4 garlic cloves
2 Scotch bonnet or habanero chiles, halved, stems removed
6 scallions, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 ½ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 2-inch piece ginger, thickly sliced
2 tablespoons soy sauce, optional
Juice of 2 large limes (about 4 tablespoons)
6 large chicken legs, leg and thigh attached

Note: Scotch bonnet peppers too spicy for us so I eliminate them, add a few drops of hot sauce to marinade. Always add soy sauce.

1. Put allspice, thyme, garlic, chiles, scallions, peppercorns, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, soy sauce and lime juice in a blender or food processor and grind to a rough paste.
2. Put chicken in a baking dish, add seasoning paste and coat chicken well, using a spoon. Cover and marinate, refrigerated, for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight.
3. Heat oven to 350 degrees and bring chicken to room temperature. Turn chicken once more in marinade to coat well, then put baking dish in the oven, uncovered. Bake for 1 hour or until well browned and juices run clear when probed with a paring knife. Put dish under the broiler for a minute or so to char chicken slightly. Remove and serve with coconut rice, if desired.
dpack

i would post you a jar of my home made hot garam sauce(fish,scotch b's,assorted chillis,pepper corns salt vinegar , a year pickling,blend then+5 yrs maturing etc etc but i expect it would not get through customs

the maturing process does retain and modify the hotness but avoids the volcano rawness of fresh super chillis

tis fairly easy to make if you can wait.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home