Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Rob R

Jimmy and the Giant Supermarket

Jimmy and the Giant Supermarket

Jimmy tries to transform Tesco's best-selling own brand meatballs (they sell 35 million of them a year). In doing so, he spots an opportunity to tackle one of dairy farming's biggest secrets - the killing each years of tens of thousands of male dairy calves because there's no market for them.

#JimmyGiant
Pilsbury

I have never really understood why they slaughter all the male dairy cows and then use mechanically recovered meat in cheap burgers and sausages. I know you have to feed the cows but surely it has to be better than the grey slime they use.
Rob R

It's just supply and demand, if the demand (and therefore price) was there, people wouldn't shoot them. I have never met anyone who likes to do it, and personally I'd rather take the loss than shoot them so young.

I found the programme a little confusing though, he started talking about the aim being to get all the meats free range and started with beef meatballs, without actually checking whether the beef used was free range, or even mentioning free range when rearing veal calves, in fact he actually said they are reared on straw. Not that I think that is a bad life for any animal, but it was inconsistent with the message IMO.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

I assumed this was a repeat, "celebs" have been banging on about dairy calves and rose veal for years now??

I thought it was a fairly normal niche product/market?

Just recently saw something about the same situation with male goat kids though.
Rob R

It's a continuing problem, mainly because, ultimately, the general populace don't care & food is still very cheap.
chicken feed

I assumed this was a repeat, "celebs" have been banging on about dairy calves and rose veal for years now??

I thought it was a fairly normal niche product/market?

Just recently saw something about the same situation with male goat kids though.

male dairy goat kids have been PTS soon after birth as long as i can remember no one wants to keep a goat that has no use but the last few years the tide has started to turn and people are willing to try goat meat its all about breaking down barriers and getting people to try something different. in 40 + years of my parents breeding dairy goats the males have been taken to slaughter weight for just the last 3 years fingers crossed we can keep it up and not go back to the old ways.
DawnMK

I watched this the other night, and today in Tesco I asked for veal, the assistant who was in a butchers apron Shocked said is that the same as venison Shocked
Rob R

Well I guess Jersey calves do look a bit like Bambi Laughing
Chickem

Well I guess Jersey calves do look a bit like Bambi Laughing

They are beautiful and I may have eaten part of one or two of their relatives mmmmmmmmmm Wink
Rob R

mmm sausages...
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Page 1 of 1
Home Array Home Home Array