Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
jamsam

job hunting thread...

yep..im still looking for work.

ive been to plenty of interviews, sent CV's, forms and emails off, ive enquired, visited and joined in...

im not going to say "where am i going wrong" as every time i do , i get lectured ( mainly buy the family) and its starting to get a depressing.

i suppose im asking does anyone know of anything..but thats a bit pointless as im tied to living here...

bum.... Crying or Very sad
Fee

What are your skills, Jamsam, and what do you want to do? You never know who's listening Wink
James

what type of job are you looking for? and how do your skills/interests tie into this? what experience have you got?

With your applications so far, are you getting knocked back at application or inteview?

edit- re-reading you post, maybe its a bit of both. So is there any pattern in the applications that your NOT getting an interview for?

My view is that 95% of jobs that you apply for are just not for you. You know it and so does the interviewer. So its a waste of time and effort. All that happens is you spend lots of time building yourself up, only to be knocked back yet again. Better in my opininion to concentrate that effort on really going for it on the 5% of jobs that really are for you. You dont have that constant 'no thanks' banging in your head, so you feel better, and that comes over at interview.
LynneA

Must admit I'm in a similar position. I make clear that I have a solid work record and I'm used to working to tight deadlines, good at prioritising, dealing with people from all walks of like, "proative" etc. But because I'm the wrong side of 30 and have work experience rather than degree, Human Resources screenings chuck my CV out before even looking at it.

I've resolved to get whatever temp work I can (finally found an agency interested in putting me on their books), doing a garden design course and working for myself.
James

LynneA wrote:
Human Resources screenings chuck my CV out before even looking at it.

I've resolved to get whatever temp work I can .

HR are great at chucking applications away. I often talk to really decent people who have got no-where in their applications and it turns out they sent their CV to HR.

Our HR team cant even manage internal stuff, let alone dealing with external stuff as well.

Temp agencies are a good way of getting your foot in the door and finding names and contacts to circumvent the HR trap.
chez

Hope you feel more chipper about things today, Jamsam? wave
jamsam

Well, i have had more interviews, sent more applications and had more rejections, BUT...i have found out that several of the jobs i applied for and had no rply from were already filled internally and were just advertising as they had to, so i dont feel quiet so bad now. I sent a really good application off on friday and im hoping to hear back from them asap. also a job offer that was right under my nose, so...a better start to Feb ...
jamsam

lalalala..im a working girl...alalalllalalalalalala...not in that sense NL!!!
jamanda

Congratulations to you too! So what is it? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
This is a good day for DS job hunters! Very Happy
mochyn

Woohoo! Wonderful news.

Doing what?
Marionb

Great news Jamsam - tell us all about it!! Very Happy
cinders

Jamanda wrote:
Congratulations to you too! So what is it? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
This is a good day for DS job hunters! Very Happy

hope this can rub of on my son chances,he's been looking foe ages
Barefoot Andrew

Good news! Spill the beanage...
A.
jamsam

i am now the new Adminitrator and Site Manager for the Small Nations fetsival...woohooo...( basicly the festival committee has decided to pay me for the voluntary work i do anyway making it easier for me to get the work done as a 'job' rather than as a volunteer...i think that makes sense..), monday 9 am start and no commute as i will be working from home!!!...now for cake...
Cathryn

Excellent. Smile And you enjoy it already.
frewen

Yay hello1 good for you Cool
Barefoot Andrew

Sounds like the ideal post! Who's doing the steward organising this year?
A.
Andrea

Congratulations. It sounds ideal cheers cheers
lettucewoman

well done! Very Happy
hedgewitch

Brilliant news! Well done! Have fun. Cool Very Happy
Nanny

congratulations jamsam

just goes to show that things mostly work out somehow

just one step on the road to managing glastonbury i think.......

or perhaps the cambridge folk festival

you are too young to remember woodstock Rolling Eyes
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home