Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Pilsbury

June declutter challenge

Here at Savage quarters we are drowning under clutter, we all have FSS ( flat surface syndrome,if its flat and empty we put something on it) and its getting depressing so for June we are all going to try and declutter.
How it works is on the 1st of June we all have to find something to throw away, recycle or charityshop, 2nd we all have to find 2 things, 3rd 3 things so by the 30th we will be looking for 90 thinks to get rid of.
Anyone care to join us?
If your not as bad as we are then you can do it as a family rather than individuals.
As an example last week I burnt 10 years worth of bank statements, electricity bill and mobile bill, and we still have the last 3 years in the files.
mousjoos

We are currently trying to cram the contents of OH's house into my already near-to-bursting house....sacrifices have been made, but I think the final solution might be to burn down her house with everything inside

I see no other way...........but my matches are damp Sad
Pilsbury

I need to change my mindset , everything may be useful one day but I can't just file and cram stuff in, I got the habit from my dad and I don't want to pass it on to my son so time to bin and burn.... My matches are dry...
mousjoos

This has been going on for months

A man with dry matches is a very lucky man indeed
Chez

I'm in. Not being that organised though - just loading the van with crap and charity shop stuff once a week and pointing it and Arvo to the tip.
Mistress Rose

We too suffer from flat surface syndrome. We had a bit of a declutter this winter, but now husband, who is the worst offender, has run out of steam, and is looking for odd bits for the tractors again. Sigh! Sad
Hairyloon

I need to change my mindset , everything may be useful one day but I can't just file and cram stuff in...

At least you are filing it. It is the people with rooms full of junk that have real trouble.
Pilsbury

Truth be told my filing is filling any mushroom crate or box with what ever got posted and then stacking them up so they sort of go in chronological orderish...
Treacodactyl

I've managed a temporary respite by...... buying another table. Cool
Pilsbury

One of the most reassuring things to come out of this thread so far is knowing we are not the only FSS sufferers lol.
alison

I am in too.
gz

We're sorting things ready to move...still nowhere to go yet Confused

Flat surface here is at a premium....hoping for more storage next place,so that things that should be in cupboards have cupboards to go to....
Hairyloon

Truth be told my filing is filling any mushroom crate or box with what ever got posted and then stacking them up so they sort of go in chronological orderish...

Oh, filing actual paperwork, I thought you were filing junk.
wellington womble

I am definitely decluttering. My problem is Ebay. I put things to one side to sell on, and never get round to it! Cathryn

I'm getting good at this, said with a smile and a sense of lightness. We are even a third of the way through Jack's farm desk (three bin bags to be burnt and completely empty drawers so far Rolling Eyes ). Once I've cleared each room I will go back through them another time. I am not living with "heirlooms" that nobody wants or uses. Cathryn

WW I am with you on the ebay stuff. I have to justify the purchase of several essential items for riding. Wink Shall we get anything on in the next week or so? Chez

I am definitely decluttering. My problem is Ebay. I put things to one side to sell on, and never get round to it!

I've stopped doing that. I've started raking stuff yo the children s hospice charity shop a few miles away instead.
sean

I've started raking stuff yo

Is that a Somerset gangsta thing?
dpack

ok ,i will cull somethings

i just had an odd thought that i have enough large general purpose "machete sized"blades for a bushcraft spider ,and far too many large (kilo of copper on a stick)soldering irons for any reasonably purpose.

materials such as bits of reclaimed timber ,very antique bricks ,good metals and suchlike will get used but i recon i can have a serious clearout in a few departments .
mochyn

I'll join in. Not sure how long it will last, though... Mistress Rose

Dpack, if you have any very old tools, either a society that collect and use/display them might be interested, or one of these tools for Africa charities. The best of them sort though first and sell on any really valuable old ones in the UK and use the money to buy more new ones to send. Falstaff

Shocked

You've got room for a WHOLE NEW TABLE ???

Laughing
Hairyloon

far too many large (kilo of copper on a stick)soldering irons for any reasonably purpose.
Save one for me?
Hairyloon

Shocked

You've got room for a WHOLE NEW TABLE ???

Laughing
You can stack them. Wink
Lorrainelovesplants

Anthony, I have successfully got John to part with some stuff last month and am trying again this month, but he is up to his neck with work and just 'growly', so Im watching my step! Pilsbury

Lol early days, its only the first so take him a cuppa to the workshop and sneak something out when he is not looking....
I have ti find my first declutter today but I don't think it will be to hard.
Lorrainelovesplants

He is welding an MOT failure for a friend. So far he did 9 straight hrs on Friday, and since 7am this morning. Ive just gone and said 'The rain is on its way', and got a mouthful.

meantime, in the shed, there are 4 ride-ons, 2 strimmers, and 2 mowers...............

Dont think a cup of tea will really do the job... Smile
Woo

we cleared he upstairs of our barn conversion last weekend. all the bits of wood that 'might be useful' are neatly stacked and chopped into 30 cm lengths.
the tools have all moved downstairs and been organised onto shelves.
I made himself do the putting on the shelves as I have had enough of being blamed for him not knowing where his stuff is because I ' must have put it somewhere!'
we went to the tip with a 3m trailer heaving with stuff.
I have even made a new friend with a boy smaller than my smallest who can benefit from the bag of clothes and shoes I had tucked under my bed. Very Happy
Pilsbury

Well i cleared the box of 'stuff ' of the top of the stairs and chucked the rubbish out and put the useful stuff away where it belongs. dpack

far too many large (kilo of copper on a stick)soldering irons for any reasonably purpose.
Save one for me?

will do
mochyn

I've decided on things to go for today and yesterday. I'll take them when I go into town tomorrow Smile Lorrainelovesplants

Okay - whole cupboard (yes, 2 door cupboard) full of computer discs....

Interactive atlas of GB etc. Lots of boring shit.
How can I persuade him to dump. He's never looked at any of this in 10 years.
This one for example, 1997.

Is there anything on the back of these that I can check to tell him they wont work anymore on our (admitedly quite elderly) machines?
gregotyn

The thing is that I have grown attached to my bits which will 'come-in'. However, I have so much that I can't find whatever it is I need. A now ex friend suggested I throw it all away. But whenever any one else wants to borrow something of mine it is immediately to hand, so logic says keep it and when I want to ask to borrow it and there it will be on the top! Lorrainelovesplants

Getting rid of old (I mean 12+ years) computer of his for a not quite brand new one. Friend has revamped and put on word, photo shop etc for him so all he needs to do is connect it up to monitor and keyboard.

Still trying to get him to look at discs etc. What is the oldest disc you'd keep -
Ill tell you that right now, He has at least 4 versions of photoshop and something called Foto station 4 (even though we have CS suite)
and umpteen atlas's that are no longer relevent.... Rolling Eyes

HOARDER
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home