Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
mushroom man

Juniper berries and sloe berries - how long are they around?

Sorry to trouble everyone with this but I need to take a foray late in the year which includes things other than fungi (my speciality). Does anyone know if ripe Juniper berries are still around in late November/early December?

The sloes have ripened early this year and I am asking the same question - will they still be around later in the year?

Apart from mushrooms there really is not much for us to forage, but someone may have a few other ideas. Thanks to all.
sean

The not terribly helpful answer is 'maybe'. Depending on how many other foragers are in the area, how much other stuff is available for the wildlife to eat etc. etc.
gil

Sloes may have withered and fallen off by then, or been eaten.

I would have thought that juniper berries would still be there, as AFAIK it takes them 2 years to ripen - so you should find the ones that are still green, at the very least.

Depending on where you are, you might find some whitebeam fruit bletted on the trees. However, you do need to be aware that their use is limited to wine-making. They are very bitter when boiled for jelly, as is any flavour extraction in spirit-strength alcohol.
mushroom man

Thanks for the replies!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home