Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
tai haku

just "did" my first cock

We got 4 cocks and 3 hens from our first hatch of chooks earlier in the year and the time came to deal with that lack of balance. Not a pleasant experience and the post-death spasming freaked me out even though I was expecting it but I feel like I did right by the bird, quick and painless.

It's going to take a long time before I get half-decent at the processing side though. Took an age!
tahir

Killing and processing are both much easier if you watch someone else do it first
Chez

I twist a bit of string or cable tie around their ankles and hang them up and walk away for ten or fifteen minutes right after I've done it. The twitching still freaks me out.

Well done though - you'd be a bit weird if you enjoyed it.
tahir

you'd be a bit weird if you enjoyed it.

Just cos he didn't enjoy doesn't mean he's not weird...
Pilsbury

Thing is people always say you have to enjoy your job, the you start thinking about slaughtermen, undertakers and crem technitions in a whole different way....

Well done on doing your first, im sure it will get quicker as you do more.
Chez

I think we all deserve gold stars for avoiding the mandatory 'enjoying doing a cock not making you weird' quips.
tahir

I think we all deserve gold stars for avoiding the mandatory 'enjoying doing a cock not making you weird' quips.

Yup, we seem to have grown up a bit. Back in the day...
12Bore

Yup, we seem to have grown up a bit. Back in the day...
It won't last...
dpack

the twitching/flapping/leaking thing is rather nasty to watch and can make one wonder if the job was thoroughly done.i dont like it at all .

a pull and twist that separates the spinal chord from the medulla oblongata does minimize it ,direct attack to medulla with a heavy blade must be very precise but totally avoids the flapping as the bird just goes limp but it does bleed out quite rapidly which can be rather nasty to see .

somewhere in the archives there are several threads covering the subject ,iirc the broomstick method was decided upon as kind,reliable,reasonably easy to do well and not too horrible to carry out .

the loop on the legs for the recently dispatched and leave it for a little while is an option.

i recon the best method is whatever you feel you can use to give a kind death even if it seems a bit messy to look at

what looks fairly tidy might not actually be the kindest way.(such as the industrial electrocution stunning/bleed out methods )
Katieowl

And I only clicked on this to ENJOY the quips!!! LOL

Kate
Chickpea

Is it illegal to put a pellet through the brain of a bird? When I had to dispatch one of mine many years ago, I used the high powered air rifle and it was instant. Woo

I know this is an old post, but I've not been around much lately.
I had to resort to an air gun PB to finish off a duck who didn't want to die. He was a big boy with a rubber neck and I just couldn't get him to stop blinking disdainfully at me! it was quick and I will do it again as required for the ducks rather than pulling for what felt like forever.

I don't know if it is permitted in England though. I'm in France and it seem like anything goes! Bah Oui!
Chez

I hate doing ducks. They have a whole Marie-Antoinette thing going on and seem to *stare* right at you for ages afterwards, even if the head is actually detached. The last ones I had to do last year, Rusticwood swooped in in his Superman pants and did. I'm going to do a batch early on and send them to someone else to do for me, this year - I do like to eat duck, but they are even worse than rabbits for me, killing-wise. dpack

if i ever have to deal with a "rapist rooster"again it will be a head shot assassination or grannie's coathanger carving knife combo kill.
some birds are far too tough in a commando rather than a kitchen sense to get less than industrial on their fluffy little souls Mad
Bodger

Funnily enough, this evening I came across an 'also ran' knocking seven shades of you know what, out of a young cock that I want to put in the breeding pen. I quickly grabbed hold of the former and placed him in a small shed ready for me to bump off in the morning. He's a biggish boy but I'll pull his neck in a jiffy and he'll be dead. I wont enjoy it but then again, I wont find it that distasteful. I will however find him very tasty when Karen makes him into a chicken with tarragon pie. dpack

i have only ever had to deal with one like "r r" and there will be no repeat of my messy execution.i do have "stranglers hands" and experience but even though i felt the neck "give" and he looked very dead he came high up off the floor with a lop sided head and tried to spur my face .what can only be described as a trench fight ensued ,i killed him .it was horrible and im still upset by it.

i will add that normal chooks only require normal methods but some chooks are not normal.

ps i was told he was rather "evil" and might be a "bit difficult" when his card was marked but i was very surprised by the way he did a Karel Richter when i surprised him "in flagrante" the afternoon before his planned visit to my stew pot.
Bodger

Finished! I bumped that cockerel off this morning. I've just finished plucking what was a nice last summers Welsummer cockerel and as I sat there in the old stable, with my wellies and my rubber apron on, I was wondering how many of you dry plucked as opposed to wet plucked?

And yes, while I realise that perhaps I should have put some more clothes on, its sometime times nice to be a simple bloke. Rolling Eyes
sean

Plus you can just hose yourself down at the end of the job.

Back when my family had chooks: Dry for the odd one, wet if doing a load.
dpack

dry but as soon as it stops bleeding ,i know some think other ways are best but it seems to work for me

out of doors if possible,any hint of mites etc outdoors no matter the weather

ps i tend to not bother with wing tips so just cut em off as dog toys
Bodger

I wet pluck and a couple of kettles of boiling water not only sees the feather coming off more easily but also puts paid to any unwanted creepy crawlies.
I'm not allergic to feather dust but I would imagine that wet plucking has got to be a better bet for those who are.
alison

Interesting.

We dry puck, as soon as the blood has stopped flowing.
Chez

Dry. I only do a couple at a time these days though. dpack

i have tried cool overnight and then hot water dip but i found it a bit "claggy" and as i dont care for gamey in chicken i like to pluck n gut (n chill or cook)asap ,especially with a roastable bird

do i feel a roast spud moment ? Laughing
Bodger

Its probably just a touch of wind Laughing Lorrainelovesplants

God, its a regular occurance here throughout the year. I hatch about 100 chicks annually, so morally Im obliged to keep and eat the cockerels.
It dosnt bother me now, and I just get organised first thing.
I dont bother with plucking - helluva faff. I just take the dead bird in the kitchen, split the skin, remove the fillets and legs, bag the carcass and on to the next.
Ducks were always that wee bit stronger and a couple of years back did 14 in a day. bar over neck, holding legs at the thighs and inside a cutdown traffic cone to contain the flapping wings. Again, peel off skin.
Bodger

The cockerels that I'm killing are eight months old and are dressing out at about 7lbs, so they're well worth plucking and producing a lovely tasty traditional roast chicken. Very Happy dpack

i pluck a good roaster ,game is often peeled,boilers could go either way .

roadkill is usually peeled
Mutton

We dry pluck immediately after killing while the body is still warm. Start with the flight feathers (though usually can't be faffed with wing tips). Then we do a fast rough pluck over the rest of the wings and the body. When it starts to get tough(er) we then pour boiling water over.
It can be difficult to get the boiling water to penetrate the feathers. Doing the rough pluck first makes it easier to get the water in.
12Bore

Finished! I bumped that cockerel off this morning. I've just finished plucking what was a nice last summers Welsummer cockerel and as I sat there in the old stable, with my wellies and my rubber apron on, I was wondering how many of you dry plucked as opposed to wet plucked?

And yes, while I realise that perhaps I should have put some more clothes on, its sometime times nice to be a simple bloke. Rolling Eyes

Bodger

Karen's jointed the chicken this evening. Unless you rear your own birds, when did you last eat a bird with meat as dark as this. Its a million light years away from the insipid crud that supermarkets sell and you'll have to take it from me as to how tasty it will be. thumbup

dpack

38 days in a shed eating pellets

or a chook with a decent home ,diet ,activity ,age etc etc

no contest

i dont eat industrial fowl
mal55

I have a wall mounted guillotine type dispatcher. I've found that if I put the lever gently over the bird's neck just below the head lift the bird up as far as it will go then drop it at the same time as jerking the lever down I get a clean kill every time. I talk quietly to the bird all the time.
The worst thing for us is plucking due to arthritis. I tried one of those pluckers you fit onto an electric drill but ended up looking as though I'd been tarred and feathered! My wife was in hysterics as I tried to get into the house. At the finish I had to strip down to socks and pants outside before she'd let me in. I've never used the flipping thing since! It's wonderful how you never have a camera handy when you need one isn't it!!
Woo

I have a wall mounted guillotine type dispatcher. I've found that if I put the lever gently over the bird's neck just below the head lift the bird up as far as it will go then drop it at the same time as jerking the lever down I get a clean kill every time. I talk quietly to the bird all the time.
The worst thing for us is plucking due to arthritis. I tried one of those pluckers you fit onto an electric drill but ended up looking as though I'd been tarred and feathered! My wife was in hysterics as I tried to get into the house. At the finish I had to strip down to socks and pants outside before she'd let me in. I've never used the flipping thing since! It's wonderful how you never have a camera handy when you need one isn't it!!
Laughing
dpack

feather comedy is rather fun .
i have had an opening door surprise when the draft lifted quite a cloud of chest down from the floor
Bodger

Don't talk to me about feathers! Laughing A scenefrom Christmas past.

A heavy snow storm but many hands made light work.

Father and son. The one's on the right. thumbup

Blind Pugh.

Two Christmas Dinners.

mal55

That's nothing Bodger! Unfortunately I was working outside and it came on to drizzle. The feathers stuck absolutely everywhere. I could've done a double act with Frosty the Snowman!
Those look beautiful birds though.
Bodger

They were fantastic tasting and made Christmas dinner that year. mal55

You can't beat home grown and fed birds. I started with Sasso "White Rangers" and "Gauloise" which were fantastic despite being "broilers."
The ones we didn't manage to knock off ended as layers and we got crosses with a Bressť cock from them which eat even better.
The first time I ever had to neck a bird was when my father in law died. My brother in law and I had to knock off a shed full of turkeys. We started off with the small ones and worked our way up. The last one was built like a Russian weight lifter and pulled David off his feet. He looked like he was being Emu'd!! The bl%^*y thing kept giving him the evil eye, kind of set it's neck muscles and just wouldn't give up. At the finish we had it straight jacketed in a sack with a corner cut out and I had hold of it whilst he wrung it's neck. I felt terrible at the muck up we'd made of it and couldn't face turkey for years. If you can't make a clean kill you shouldn't do it but at the time we had no choice.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home