Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
DawnMK

Just checked the Hives

Just managed to get a quick check on the hives as the sun was out,
1 national busy plenty of brood and they are capping off in the super
2 national busy plenty of brood not much in the super at all only a couple of frames being worked on
3 topbar very busy plenty of brood, honey and they only have 5 bars to go then its full
4 topbar very busy plenty of brood honey and they only have 6 bars to go then full
5 national not very busy not much brood
6 top bar very busy but they have built there comb in completly the wrong direction across the bars Shocked

what do I do with the top bars when they are full please Shocked

not happy with number 5 national, they seem to be playing and not getting on with there job dont know what to do with them.
Tavascarow

Re: Just checked the Hives

5 national not very busy not much brood

what do I do with the top bars when they are full please Shocked

not happy with number 5 national, they seem to be playing and not getting on with there job dont know what to do with them.

Re. top bars, start harvesting.
One of the advantages of crush & strain is you don't need a big centrifugal extractor to harvest (& the subsequent clean up). so you can harvest in stages even taking a bar or two of single source honey just after each flow.

You could reinforce national 5 with some frames of brood from a stronger hive or even swap it's position with a stronger hive.
I would double check there are no disease issues first though. A lack lustre colony, when all around are thriving, could be the onset of something nasty.
Although it's probably just an inferior or failing queen.
DawnMK

I hope if the weather plays ball on Tuesday my day off I can have a good look at what is going on and see if I can see the queen,
and move a couple of frames of brood in there perhaps they just need a bit of a kick start
and might have a go at squeezing out some honey from a few top bars

I am impressed with the top bars they seem happier better behaved bees Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home