Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
monkey1973

Just got Broadband at home....yippeee!

Now got a speedy connection for the home PC. Seems even faster than the works one. Main prob at the moment is the fact that the phone socket is as far away from the nearest power supply as it could be and the pc sits about halfway between the pair of them. There's a conglomeration of cables and extensions across the dining room floor at the mo. The GLW will not be pleased.
I presume all I need is a longer line from the filter to the router so it can site nearer the power socket and the PC? I presume such a thing is available (about 3m would be ideal) and this will not affect the performance? If anybody knows better please let me know.
tawny owl

You should be OK - my modem is upstairs, and the phone line is at least 10 metres, and it works fine.
monkey1973

cheers
dougal

The lead from splitter to your modem or router is just a US-style phone lead. A few metres shouldn't do any harm at all. They're easily made up once you find the bits! You should even get away with a coupler to join two such leads together - its only the central pair that is used, and polarity isn't important.
If it is a (network connect) router, it may be easier to find a longish "Cat5 Flylead" to connect the router to your computer. You can get away with 30m (flex) flyleads; twisted pair ethernet should go 100m over solid core (fixed) cable.
BUT if its a USB connect modem, 5m would be a very long lead! (And if it is a modem, make sure your security is up to date! A router can provide extra protection...)
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home