Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
jamanda

Just out of interest

What is re-imaging? The techy boys keep having to do it to my computer at work and it's a right pain because it takes ages. I just nod sagely and pretend I know what they are doing, but in actuality I have no idea.
Nick

If you run an institute full of computers, that people get to play with, and those people get carried away and install stuff, or tweak things, the techs might have to correct them.

When they originally set it up, they take an image of the pc in its optimum condition. Then they have to reimage the PC when people have surges of creativity. It's restoring it to its original state.
jamanda

Hmmm. I don't think I've done anything too creative other than just using bog standard programmes especially not twice in one week! but thanks.
chez

I expect that actually they are partitioning your hard-drive in order to have to somewhere to store their internet p*orn. But don't worry about it, as Nick says.
jamanda

I expect that actually they are partitioning your hard-drive in order to have to somewhere to store their internet p*orn. But don't worry about it, as Nick says.

Laughing It will all be elves and Vulcans knowing that lot Laughing
wellington womble

We are officially old, because we don't understand our own IT system anymore. I can't make my NAS work at all, and we installed a wireless printer this afternoon, and ended up having to plug the thing in to make it work. It then (very sarcastically, I must say. Why are computers so bloody patronising?) told us it didn't need to be plugged in, despite refusing to work any other way. Ironically, a wireless printer did not come with the correct cables to allow it to be wireless!

Jenna has agreed to do it it all for us when she gets a bit older. In between asking 'why is daddy shouting?' I'm sticking to seeds. If they die, you can usually figure out why.
RichardW

Re imaging or remastering should not take ages. A few hours at most if done over a busy network.
jamanda

Re imaging or remastering should not take ages. A few hours at most if done over a busy network.

A few hours is ages when you need the computer to do your own work!
RichardW

In that case find out why they need to do it.

Normally a precursor to hard ware failure (if its not a meddling techy user or errant software installs).
nats

A few hours is ages when you need the computer to do your own work!

Which is why we do ours over night. We only do it when we upgrade though. Can't imagine doing it lots. Haven't you asked them why??
jamanda

I think part of it is that even though it's a pita for me, it's quick for them. But I will ask. buzzy

I think part of it is that even though it's a pita for me, it's quick for them. But I will ask.

Either they will pat your hand patronisingly and tell you not to worry about it, or 'explain' in fifteen minutes, during which you will understand almost all the words but not the order in which they are delivered. When your eyes glaze over they will dash away.

Henry
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home