Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Chez

Keep water unfrozen

I've just come across this recommended on another forum - it doesn't do large quantities, but the person who mentioned it said that her vet had had a look and said it was safe.

http://www.aquahydrotech.com/PDFs/Ice_Free_for_Bird_Baths.pdf
sean

Adding *anything* to water lowers its freezing point.
Chez

Yeah, but the trick is to add something that won't kill the chickens. Think this is glycerine-based - does that sound right?

Someone was asking about it last year ... can't remember who.
katie

I was thinking of adding a few drops of glycerine to the chicken water to see what happens. It's a real pain at the moment, isn't it?

(The chicks are doing really well btw Chez!)
Mutton

I've had to upgrade from stomping the ice in the trough to smashing it with an old axe. This morning I did the goose water, went on to the sheep to do hay and their water, and by the time I came back past the goose bath-trough there was a thin film of ice already. Going out every hour or so to smash it for them again.
Very fed up.
Geese puzzled by lack of grass. Chickens on strike and sitting on the perches all day (apart from a few who sat out in the sun for a little bit at lunchtime).

Lots of happy people going past to go sledging a mile or so away. Lovely snow etc, etc. I want those "warm, wet, westerly winds in winter" and I want it now. Mad
Castle Farm

I have 46 drinkers in my breeding pens and around 350 birds to get around everyday. Over the last few days I do it at least twice and it takes about 2 hours a time.

A bucket of warm water to unfreeze the drinker (maximum 5 before it needs warmer water.

There is no easy way, but I find if I empty the drinkers late afternoon when the birds are going into roost saves a lot of time.

If you only have a couple of pens buy another set of drinkers that you can take out and replace the frozen ones. It saves messing about in the cold.

It is very important that birds have water available, as it not only controls the birds temperature, but is needed in digestion of food and intestinal functions. A bird will stop laying if she gets short of water, as again a lot is used in the egg.
Unlike other animals a birds intake of water is small and it needs to drink alot more often than any other animal.
LynneA

Howard has been adding Citricidal to the water recently. Not sure if it helps, but water was still fluid yesterday afternoon.
SteveP

If you use a galvanised drinker like I do then block it up on a some housebricks and light a tea candle under it. Stops it refreezing for a couple of hours.

Steve
dpack

fish tank heater?
Chez

If you use a galvanised drinker like I do then block it up on a some housebricks and light a tea candle under it. Stops it refreezing for a couple of hours.

Steve

Ooooh, GOOD idea!
evie2

Usually t-lights burn for 4 hours but you can buy 8 hour ones.
LynneA

Howard has been adding Citricidal to the water recently. Not sure if it helps, but water was still fluid yesterday afternoon.

Having got home from work, have checked, and it does contain glycerine.
Mary-Jane

I'd be interested in a final agreed conclusion to this subject for my own chooks.

Oh crap. I sound like a pompous lawyer. Sorry... Embarassed
Woodburner

Re: Keep water unfrozen

I've just come across this recommended on another forum - it doesn't do large quantities, but the person who mentioned it said that her vet had had a look and said it was safe.

http://www.aquahydrotech.com/PDFs/Ice_Free_for_Bird_Baths.pdf

It's really only meant for use in water features and bird baths. They make no claims that it's ok to use it as the sole water source for birds to drink.

It probably is harmless, but without knowing what's in it, I'll stick to emptying out at night and checking/clearing/refilling in the afternoon. Sad
arvo

I found this that suggests up to 6% of glycerin in a chickens diet does them no harm. Bebo

I found this that suggests up to 6% of glycerin in a chickens diet does them no harm.

Just don't shake them after, 'cos they go up with a bang!
arvo

I found this that suggests up to 6% of glycerin in a chickens diet does them no harm.

I'm gonna say don't be spilling the gylcerin in the chicken poo is all Smile

Looking up the freezing points of glycerin, you do need to add a reasonable amount of the stuff before you get a reasonable reduction in freezing.

10% by volume in the water buys you 1.5 deg C
20% by volume in the water buys you 4.5 deg C

And the study above saying it has no effect only goes up to 6% by volume.
Mutton

Nah that's nitro glycerine. Chicken poo may be offensive but not convinced it will nitrate the glycerine. Straight glycerine is meant to be good for your nails, so maybe all their claws will grow longer.

Nitro glycerine is a muscle relaxant by the way, used for heart patients. Also 1% in a cream to relax muscles in a painful place.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Array Array Home Array