Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
wellington womble

Keeping egg yolks

My daughter is most peculiar and does not like egg yolks. It has just dawned on me that instead of poaching her eggs solid and feeding the yolks to the pets, I could separate them first and use the yolks for other things

Only they go really weird in the fridge or the freezer. How do you keep them for custards and so on. She only eats one at a time, so I'd need to keep them for a couple of days at least.
tahir

Ice cream!
Nick

Custard.

I reckon they'd freeze fine.
Nicky cigreen

tbh frozen eggs always go weird, you have to sort of not look, carry on with the recipe, and it mostly works.

I reckon you should approach this the other way around. Egg whites freeze perfectly, and also keep in the fridge for ages and ages too, so you should look at making some nice things with egg yolk - icecream, custard, creme brulee, hollandaise sauce.. nom... and save the whites either in fridge or freezer for when she wants an egg.
dpack

pasta Wink

volcano pile of flour with a crater full of egg yolks(that gives the right proportions)
mix to a dough
shape to purpose by whatever means
cook in whatever style and enjoy

there are good bakes that only use yolks
i will try to remember a few

yolks are good for enriching batters, ok for glazing pies(or putting in them)

as mentioned custard type sauces and patisserie gloops etc etc

ace things
wellington womble

Custard.

I reckon they'd freeze fine.

They go weird though. Like mayonnaise when you leave it out.

It has also just occurred to me that I could do it the other way and keep the whites hanging around. I’m clearly being a bit dim over this! It only occurred to me that I could separate them (despite separating eggs for oodles of things I’ve the year) when I did it by accident trying to get a bit of shell out of one I was poaching!

I bet she goes off poached eggs now. She’s that kind of child (although the ice cream will definitely promote it)
buzzy

Memories of my childhood tell me that when my mother made meringues she also made choux pastry (for eclairs) so I had it in my mind that choux pastry needed extra, if not only, egg yolks. Better cooks than I will know if this is so. I expect the internet knows, as well, but I have pups to feed!

By the way, I think you are unkind to describe not liking egg yolks as peculiar. We are all different!

Henry
Midlandsman

You can cure them in a salt mix and then grate them onto salads etc.

https://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/salt-cured-egg-yolks

Use like you would parmesan.
Shan

I'm sorry but that sounds yuk! Embarassed
Nick

Idiots. Kosher salt. Rolling Eyes

Ground.
Nick

You could confit them...

They should keep for a while, and are great.
Nick

You could confit them...

They should keep for a while, and are great.
Shan

Where's the 'vomit' emoticon when you need it?
Nick

Hey Shan,

Show us a selfie in your next post.
Shan

That's a pathetic vomit emoticon. Rolling Eyes

Nick

Lock down going well?
dpack

Laughing
Shan

Lock down going well?

It is actually. People are not a problem. Razz
DorsetScott

I'm sorry but that sounds yuk! Embarassed

I've done this before, doesn't taste anything like you'd expect. Seems more cheese than egg
tahir

Never had a surplus of yokes to try with, pretty impressive vom emoji there Shan. Mistress Rose

You use egg yolks to make rum truffles (rum can be excluded for children) as I used to make rum truffles and peppermint creams to use the two parts of the egg. tahir

I’ve seen it all now, Co op sell 4 boiled eggs in a plastic container. sean

I’ve seen it all now, Co op sell 4 boiled eggs in a plastic container.

I noticed sliced mushrooms last time I was in.
wellington womble

By the way, I think you are unkind to describe not liking egg yolks as peculiar. We are all different!

Henry

But that’s what peculiar means! Different, or unusual.

Anyway, thank you for all of the suggestion. I don’t need ideas for using eggs yolks, but how to keep them for a few days without them going crustily weird.
buzzy

Henry

But that’s what peculiar means! Different, or unusual.

Anyway, thank you for all of the suggestion. I don’t need ideas for using eggs yolks, but how to keep them for a few days without them going crustily weird.

You are probably right, but I think 'peculiar' has a pejorative ring to it!

Henry
buzzy

If you have a blank wall and some artistic leanings you could make tempera, which apparently keeps for about a week if you add a few drops of vinegar. Deeper delving into the web may reveal ways of keeping tempera longer.

Not a culinary use, I know, but does involve the keyword 'keeping'. Wink

Henry
dpack

tempera is a ok media, if you are ignorant of the use of oils, thinners and mineral based stuff

we did a ceiling using it and "gentle"earth pigments

it would have been far better bruge style
wellington womble

If you have a blank wall and some artistic leanings you could make tempera, which apparently keeps for about a week if you add a few drops of vinegar. Deeper delving into the web may reveal ways of keeping tempera longer.

Not a culinary use, I know, but does involve the keyword 'keeping'. Wink

Henry

Laughing think I will pass (despite many blank walls!)
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home