Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Cathryn

Kennel to hen house

Does anyone have any ideas about how to convert a large heavy duty plastic kennel into a decent hen house? I have just put it on adtrader (for a rather optimistic figure obviously want to keep it) as the dog prefers sleeping under daughters bed (fancy that Rolling Eyes ) It would make such a good henhouse a la eglu if I could work out how to add bits to it - especially insulation as it is thick skinned but only one layer. It would be just so easy top clean out with a hose. Ventilation would be ok - drill lots of holes under the eaves, two perches, internal nest boxes (cardboard - either side of the door)

We now have nine bantams and the boughton arc - though big enough in theory is causing squabbles - youngsters go to bed early and then get distrubed by larger gang pushing them down the arc when they come in Rolling Eyes
Bodger

Ruby.
It looks as though you are on to a winner . It would be very easy to make a wood and wire run that would slot under the eaves of the kennel
Cathryn

Yes - it's just the insulation in winter that bothers me. It was ok for dogs because it was tucked along the side of the house and heavily lined with carpet and quilts. I was thinking of putting it within a covered run so I suppose I could throw carpet over it in winter. If I did a door of tough fine mesh and angled it out of the wind and drilled plenty of holes under the back eaves, then ventilation wouldn't be an issue. Thinking out load - but what do you others think?
Bodger

Chickens don't need insulation in the winter they wear there own ! Chickens don't like damp and draughts !
Apart from provision to stop that, thats all that they need .
Anything that you stick on the inside is going to provide harbourage for insect pests , this is another reason why roofing felt is not as popular as it once was amongst poultry keepers .
In addition your plastic kennel would be dead easy to disinfect if you needed to .

Bodger
Tensing

My hubby turned our old dog kennel in to a hen house, but it was a wooden one.

Does the roof lift off? if so all you would need to do is pop some nest boxes in, and a piece of wood with a pop hole in in the door way to make it more hen size. And then a run on the front.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home