Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Nick

Korean bulgogi beef

Was shown this during a ridiculous toasted sandwich / Top Gun thread. So I thought I'd try making it. Never been to Korea, so don't know if it's close to accurate, but it's very delicious.

Serves two.
Two large rump steaks. Or sirloin. Ideally rib eye.
⅓ cup of soy sauce
3 Tbl white sugar
1 Tbl sesame oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
¼ of an onion, halved and sliced into medium moon shaped slivers
2 inches of a leek including the white parts, finely sliced into small pieces. Recipe suggested spring onions, but my kitchen said no.
2 Tbl toasted sesame seeds
¼ tsp of red pepper flakes
2 pinches of black pepper

Slice the beef as thin as possible. Do this before it defrosts, and it's easy. Remove gristle, or big bits of fat.

Stir everything else together until the sugar has dissolved. Marinade the cow in the juice for at least an hour, possibly 24. Very hot, big pan. Or, apparently, use a bbq, and fry these hard, until possibly even a bit crispy on the edges.

I served it in tacos, because that's what I had with some home made salsa and some paper thin slices of pickled cucumber. But, it's good on white rice, with kimchi, too, I'm assured.
Cathryn

I think you need a freezer full of hoggett so we get some interesting lamb recipes.
Nick

I seem to have two lambs in there already.

http://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?t=80229&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Bodger

I bet it works well with dog too. Rolling Eyes
Cathryn

I seem to have two lambs in there already.

http://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?t=80229&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Yeah I know thank you, I do variations on those. Still cannot convince my family that they really like lamb. They quite like it when I cook it but that's because they are being sweet.
Nick

Cook it better.
Marry a pig farmer.
Adopt some middle eastern children.
Make them cook.

Eta. Make the family cook, not the adopted middle eastern kids. Although, if they join the family, they should, they're not special. Except that all children are special and gifted and talented. I'm just not suggesting you get in some as servants. Oh, Jesus. Just serve beef.
Cathryn

I have had another idea. Might work, might not.
Nick

Did it?

(I was after this recipe. )
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Cook it better.
Marry a pig farmer.
Adopt some middle eastern children.
Make them cook.

Eta. Make the family cook, not the adopted middle eastern kids. Although, if they join the family, they should, they're not special. Except that all children are special and gifted and talented. I'm just not suggesting you get in some as servants. Oh, Jesus. Just serve beef.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home