Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Marionb

Lamb not doing well

I have a 6 month old lamb, one of twins.... she didnt have the best start as her mother decided she didnt want to suckle her, although the lamb soon got clever and nipped in when the ewe wasnt looking... Rolling Eyes

She's never done particularly well but now you can see her backbone and hip bones, and she has grass stains at the corner of her mouth and down her chin.... any ideas why she has this grass staining? Its been there a little while but now seems to be getting worse and she had a load of slobber hanging down from her mouth today... Confused
Bungo

Sounds like refluxing .
Ty Gwyn

Sounds like refluxing .

Not heard that expression before,can you explain?

Marion,check the lambs molar teeth,there could be a problem there with its grinding.
Marionb

I don't fancy having my fingers bitten off lol but surely a 6 month old lamb shouldn't have problems with its teeth?
Cathryn

Orf, mouth ulcer, teeth coming through wrong?
Marionb

Orf, mouth ulcer, teeth coming through wrong?

Definitely not orf.... I guess it could be one of the other two though...
Bungo

Sounds like refluxing .

regergetating
Ty Gwyn

Sounds like refluxing .

regergetating

Thanks.
Mutton

Just FYI we have an old pet ewe who lost all her front teeth several years ago and is definitely reduced on chewing teeth. Can't tell if there are grass stains - because she is black - but she definitely drops cud. We give her bowls of soaked sugar beet mixed with sheep nuts twice a day and she is doing great.
While you are sorting out the lamb's mouth, if that is the problem, you might want to try some soft higher energy food for it, get some weight and wool on before winter.
Mutton

Marion - any update on your lamb?
Cause of problem?
Is she doing better?
Marionb

Marion - any update on your lamb?
Cause of problem?
Is she doing better?

Nothing to report really, I tried to look in her mouth but couldnt see anything but then again it was difficult to do much without either getting bitten or risking hurting her jaw....

She's gone to a neighbour for a few weeks, he has plenty of good quality grass, hopefully that will do her some good.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home