Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Marionb

Laptop problem

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice re. my laptop. When I switch it on, the screen stays blank, ie. it doesn't change at all, the on button is lit up, as are the volume and broadband buttons. The capital lock and number lock buttons flash on and off.

And that's it.

I'm fairly sure I will have to take it into the computer guy for him to hopefully sort but I just thought I'd ask on here first...

Sad Confused
Treacodactyl

Does it have a socket to connect it to a monitor and a monitor to connect it to? If you can do that you may be able to see what's wrong and at least back up files.
stumbling goat

Have you tried connecting it to another screen?

Or playing a DVD though it?

Is the brightness turned up?

sg
Marionb

Do you mean, like a pc screen? I do have an old one but not sure how I'd connect it to my laptop?
Treacodactyl

Yep, does your laptop have a VGA connector (like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector )?

The screen should have a cable on the back you carefully plug in.
Marionb

Yep, does your laptop have a VGA connector (like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector )?

The screen should have a cable on the back you carefully plug in.

Thanks... Tried this today and pc screen stayed blank so I guess its a trip to the pc man....
Marionb

Well its in for repair at the moment.

The hard drive is damaged, he had a job to get the data, pictures etc off onto a memory stick but managed it. The hard drive is defunct now though.

He says it may be a problem with the CMOS (whatever that is) and will let me know on Monday if this is the case.

A new hard drive is 50, labour charges for re-installing everything will be 60. This is on top of 75 already due for sorting out the stuff on the hard drive.

For a laptop that's 5 and a half years old, I'm not sure its worth spending 200 on it... although it is (was ) a good laptop.

Not looking forward to Monday... Sad
Nick

If he has the data, you could tell him to stop and go to currys and buy something new for not much more. Comes with warranty and new battery.
JB

Well its in for repair at the moment.

The hard drive is damaged, he had a job to get the data, pictures etc off onto a memory stick but managed it. The hard drive is defunct now though.

He says it may be a problem with the CMOS (whatever that is) and will let me know on Monday if this is the case.

A new hard drive is 50, labour charges for re-installing everything will be 60. This is on top of 75 already due for sorting out the stuff on the hard drive.

For a laptop that's 5 and a half years old, I'm not sure its worth spending 200 on it... although it is (was ) a good laptop.

Not looking forward to Monday... Sad

The laptop isn't worth it, but is the data worth it?
oldish chris

If he has the data, you could tell him to stop and go to currys and buy something new for not much more. Comes with warranty and new battery. Good point. Go to their website. Also good deals on their refurbished Lappy page. (I just did - was a bit surprised by the low prices.) Marionb

Well I'll have to pay for the data, its the predicted cost of the repair that's grieving me... It can only go up and I don't know if its worth it... Probably not bearing in mind the fan and battery both need replacing too... Nick

If he has the data, you could tell him to stop and go to currys and buy something new for not much more. Comes with warranty and new battery. Good point. Go to their website. Also good deals on their refurbished Lappy page. (I just did - was a bit surprised by the low prices.)

All my pc needs are funded by work, so I don't really pay attention, but they seem to be advertising stuff for under 250, which is nothing, given it'll come with a working OS, a big screen and Fresh battery.
vegplot

If he has the data, you could tell him to stop and go to currys and buy something new for not much more. Comes with warranty and new battery.

No use in throwing money at something that may not have much life left in it even after the work is done.
oldish chris

Agreement - get a new one.

Next Stage (very downsizery) recovering hardware. Would I be correct in thinking that the hard-drive problems are to do with data, and that if it were to be reformatted it would be useable? For about a tenner you can get a little plastic box from PC World that will convert it into an external hard-drive. This would give bags of storage space for your weekly back-up of data. (Risk analysis - might not be the most reliable of data stores, but the chances of it dying the same week as your new lappy are remote)
Marionb

It sounded like the hard drive was totally knackered.

I guess I will have to look for a new one... any recommendations as to make/spec? Mine is a HP but cant remember the spec.

I will hopefully borrow one for a few weeks until finances allow me to purchase a new one.

Sad
Nick

If it's six years old, amost anything new will be harder, better, faster, stronger. Marionb

I found this one on the Currys site...

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-notebook-15-r160sa-15-6-laptop-black-10075545-pdt.html

Although it will probably be more expensive by the time I buy it.. Rolling Eyes
oldish chris

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-notebook-15-r160sa-15-6-laptop-black-10075545-pdt.html

Don't worry about that. All good salesmen will try to stop you "going off to think about it". There are always brand new super-duper top of the range systems and two or three "clearance" or some other special words that means "we want to get shot".

I wouldn't get hung up on make, but my last HP (got it from the refurbished page) didn't last much more than two years. Lets face it, the crucial bits are made by Intel, etc. I'd have thought that from the end user point of view, its down to screen size, keyboard feel and OS (no real choice there at the mo).
vegplot

Haggle. Hard. The world and his wife are trying to sell computers it's a very competitive market. Decide your spec. don't get side-lined by sales talk (you want benefits not features). Demand a better price and what makes them better than x down the road. Don't be afraid to go back later asking if they've changed their mind yet,
Marionb

The computer guy came back to me with the news that my laptop is beyond economical repair Rolling Eyes

Fortunately I am able to borrow one for the time being. However as per usual, nothing goes to plan, and for some reason I cannot access all the sites I want to online.

Downsizer is fine, as is BBC News. I can get the Santander site up and look at products but cannot access my online banking account.
Cant get Facebook or Hotmail at all. Mad

Does anyone know why this is happening?
stumbling goat

What is actually wrong with it?

One persons "UE repair" may be another persons "worth having a go at"?

sg
Marionb

Its knackered. I accept that, its not worth spending over 200 repairing a nearly 6 year old laptop.

When I try to access Facebook etc, I get a message saying Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage and then a box lower down to diagnose connection problems - but as far as I am aware there arent any as I can see, since I can access some sites....
stumbling goat

Hi MarionB

I o not long anything about computers but if you can access some sites and you have internet access then surely it is not a hardware issue? FWIW I think hardware is the screen or the mouse or the case?

Seems more logical to be an issue with the software?

Did the computer guy say what the problem is that will cost 200 to fix?

sg
oldish chris

Lateral thought, we Linux types can easily create a "Live USB Stick", basically, you get a large pen drive, install the OS on it, then with any computer going, you boot from USB, and the machine will use the USB rather than the hard drive. It will not affect in any way the computer's files etc, and you can customise and store your own stuff on the USB. The following day, you can do the same on a different PC, and carrying on exactly where you left off.

I'm sure I read somewhere that something similar can be done on the latest versions of Windows.
sean

When I try to access Facebook etc, I get a message saying Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage and then a box lower down to diagnose connection problems - but as far as I am aware there arent any as I can see, since I can access some sites....

This problem is on the borrowed temporary replacement isn't it? Is it running a very old version of IE? Some sites don't like out of date browsers.
Marionb

This problem is on the borrowed temporary replacement isn't it? Is it running a very old version of IE? Some sites don't like out of date browsers.

Yes it is... I don't think its an old version tho as its just been wiped clean and reinstalled
vegplot

Update to the latest version of IE that you possibly can. What version of Windows is the machine running? Mainstream support for XP ended in 2009. wellington womble

What is actually wrong with it?

One persons "UE repair" may be another persons "worth having a go at"?

sg

Probably still cost more, though.

You don't bank with barclays, do you? I can't get online banking to work at the moment either. Or it takes half an hour per page. All my other regular sites are fine. I wondered if there was some sort problem.
Marionb

No, I'm with Santander. Strangely enough my partner can get into his Natwest account.... Confused

I was told today that maybe it hadnt been wiped clean properly and there was still some malware on it so I will probably try running malwarebytes and see if that helps...
oldish chris

Marion - you hang on in there, I'm guessing, but I reckon a few 8.1 systems are going to get offered at knock-down prices soon! http://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?t=83705&highlight=
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home