Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
gardening-girl

Larsen Traps.

We are having a real problem with rooks going into the hen house,through the pop hole, and stealing eggs.Lots of eggs.
Someone mentioned using a Larsen Trap to catch the b*****s.
Are these legal?
Any other ideas to solve the problem?(Apart from shooting them).
dpack

try a mirror Wink
Treacodactyl

Re: Larsen Traps.

Are these legal?

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/codes-of-practice/trapping-pest-birds.cfm
Chez

I have left Ma a message.
dpack

corvids are clever ,i like em but

mirror
the proper distress cry on a gizmo
gun
Cathryn

Are you sure they are rooks? It's not their usual diet.
gardening-girl

Yes Catherine,Barrie saw one coming out.
They are also taking duck eggs from another chap on the plot.We are finding egg shells all over the track.
dpack

umm they will teach the children where dinner can be found

non lethal war is a polite start
Chez

They are taking eggs from me, too. And last year I lost quite a lot of youngsters to them before I worked out what was going on.
dpack

mirror means more to a raider than a local

graannie was clever before she was ruthless
perlogalism

We had major problems with Magpies last year. Have invested in a Larsen trap a couple of months ago and not had one attack since!

They know you know Evil or Very Mad
Colin & Jan

I'm up to 12 magpies and 4 carrion crows to date. 6 of the magpies and 3 of the crows have gone to other people for their traps.

Make sure the call bird in the trap is well fed and watered so that it feels well and subsequently calls loudly. They can become a real Judas if well looked after.

All of the corvid species will take eggs and chicks although I would rate the rook at the bottom of the 'pecking order'. Once they find a nest or source they will not stop until that source has gone.

In my opinion, control at this time a year is a must for wildlife management. My father who generally doesn't give much for this type of thing was incandescent with rage last year when the magpies systematically picked off the young blue tits a they were hatching from one of his boxes. We now have a larsen trap in his garden each spring.
SteveP

My way to keep jackdaws and rooks away is to shoot one and hang it off the ground by one wing. After the initial racket from the over-flying birds they wont land near it. It is surprising how long it works (months) if the fox doesn't take the carcass.

Doesn't seem to work for magpies though.
woodsprite

My way to keep jackdaws and rooks away is to shoot one and hang it off the ground by one wing. After the initial racket from the over-flying birds they wont land near it. It is surprising how long it works (months) if the fox doesn't take the carcass.

Doesn't seem to work for magpies though.

That's the country way. My gran did it, my dad did it and I did it. I've never had a problem.
gardening-girl

Larsen trap now sourced,B is sitting silently ready to have a pop. Wink
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home