Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
shadiya

Lathes

My ex has been hinting loudly that this is what he wants for Christmas. Can anyone suggest a good make? I favour a pole lathe myself, no need for electrickery Wink Very Happy
boisdevie1

Stupid question.
I don't buy presents for me ex. Why do you?
shadiya

I buy presents for my ex husband because I like him and I like being able to give pleasure to people I like. Normal sort of reasons. Wink

Do we not have any woodworkers on here? Blast, I thought we had everything!
Rusticwood

Axminster tools do a nice range of lathes. (One of them is on my wish list Wink )
At the moment I have an old Sealey lathe

ETA what sort of turning does he want to do?
shadiya

I'm not sure. Not sure he knows either, which isn't much help. I was thinking of maybe trying to get something cheap ish from ebay.
Rusticwood

It might be a good idea if he finds out what he wants to do first.This is a good place to start.
Cheap with lathes is not a good place to go unless you can find a quality one. Maybe get him a course instead.
Lorrainelovesplants

Axminster are good and they will give loads of advice. dependson what he wants to make. I like platters, Kieran likes candlesticks, john is thinking of doing little round boxes with lids.

We have 2 woodturning lathes and 2 metal lathes.
shadiya

I meant more in a 'cheap as it's second hand not new' kind of way but thanks. I'll ask him. He's about to be fifty, I think a little shed in the garden with a lathe is just what he needs! Wink
shadiya

He's thinking bowls and tool handles apparently. I've had a look in fleabay and they have a variety of things on offer Very Happy

Two Axminsters, various Records and Coronets, which sound vaguely familiar but I don't know why. Record make tools I think but whether they are good quality or not I'm not sure. Coronet sounds nicely old fashioned enough for it to be a good make....

I know nothing.
Lorrainelovesplants

A lot of schools and colleges are getting rid of their big sturdy lathes - these are well worth the money if you have the room (they are usually quite big). Built to last and teenager proof - we would have one if they came up and the distance was nearby....
windyridge

Record are a good make... I had one. Loved using it.
shadiya

I found a nice Axminster and he's very happy. The chap I bought it from had moved on to bigger and better things, his new lathe cost over £1000! If David gets bitten by the bug he's going to have to pay for the upgrade himself! Laughing
Rusticwood

It gets very addictive Wink
Paradise Regained

Axminster are good

I've got to get a new woodturning lathe as my current one (cheap and 20 years old) is worn out. I'm currently looking at this.

Does anyone have any experience of this model, or know if its any good? I want it for a mix of spindle & bowl turning.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Smile
sally_in_wales

I think thats the model Gareth has
Midland Spinner

I think thats the model Gareth has

PR says "Yes, I know he does beautiful things, but is he happy with it?" Wink
Happy New Year btw.
Rusticwood

I'd be interested as well as thats the one I was thinking of upgrading too as well Cool sally_in_wales

He says he likes it a lot, its a good general purpose lathe though its not set up for really huge things, but for most things he's found it excellent
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home