Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Treacodactyl

Laver

Does anyone know of any recipes for laver that don't involve boiling it to death for several days.

Also, does anyone routinely collect it? I just wondered if it has good years and bad years as this year the beach seems to be covered with the stuff and I don't recall as much in the last couple of years.
Jamanda

I think it needs boiling to get rid of the rubberyness.

You can eat wireweed nodules as they are, which is probably a good thing.
Cathryn

I nibble on it raw, mainly for it's saltiness. Can it be added to soup like the red one? (They probably all can but this one doesn't alter the soup much and isn't rubbery.)
Northern Boy

I think (think) we just chucked it in with pasta and it was fine. I concluded that the boiling thing must have been a way of preserving it in days of yore. Of course an alternate conclusion is that I had picked something other than laver, but since none of the shoreline seaweeds are poisonous I suppose it doesn't matter.
Mary-Jane

Re: Laver

Does anyone know of any recipes for laver that don't involve boiling it to death for several days.

puke_r

That said, (or done), I think Katieowl has some good recipes and she assures me that I would *like* her versions...
doctoral

Also, does anyone routinely collect it? I just wondered if it has good years and bad years as this year the beach seems to be covered with the stuff and I don't recall as much in the last couple of ears.

Try making Nori by laying out cleaned laver and grlling it slowly.
Idea
Treacodactyl

Also, does anyone routinely collect it? I just wondered if it has good years and bad years as this year the beach seems to be covered with the stuff and I don't recall as much in the last couple of ears.

Try making Nori by laying out cleaned laver and grlling it slowly.
Idea

I've seen that suggested before and I might try it although I find the sea lettuce better tasting, much less chewy and as common.

I've also added other 'weeds to soups and cooked bean dishes so I'll try the laver like that.

I'm a bit surprised is seems to be the UK's commonest recipe when it doesn't seem to be the most easily edible seaweed.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home