Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Chez

Lawn mower

Without wanting to go all Pleasant Valley Sunday, we need a lawn mower.

It's an area of about 50m by 20m, but not in one entire bit, there are beds and wiggly edges.

So, petrol or electric? Or a push-along one? A hover one?

I think I want a second hand one rather than paying out for new.
judith

I would go for electric for that size lawn - lighter and more manoeuvrable. Hover ones mulch up the grass and leave it lying around, which is fine if you mow regularly and frequently. Less so if you leave it for longer between mowings.
OTOH, if you have a box on the mower, you will need to empty it several times per mowing, which can be annoying. Depends whether you view grass clippings as a resource or not.

ETA Sadly, Rob's lawnmower collection is rather depleted now, or you could have taken one away with you!
Nell Merionwen

try freecycle, This time of year people upgrade their mowers if they have big gardens. They need to offload the old ones.
Chez

Thanks, Nell; I'm keeping an eye out; I can't put up a wanted as I have used up all my Freecycle Chi scrounging stuff for the market over the last few weeks Smile

Judith; you mean your barn is EMPTY? Shocked
Nell Merionwen

I could put up a wanted here but then we would have to sort out courier. Perhaps give it a few days and then shout if you would like me to?
judith

Judith; you mean your barn is EMPTY? Shocked

Good heavens, no. It is now full of all the stuff from the lean-to. Very Happy
Plus Paul the Cat Man's junk that I agreed to store for a "couple of months" two years ago. Rolling Eyes
But unfortunately I did Freecycle the spare mowers in a fit of organisation.
Chez

Thank you! There's an electric flymo compact 300 on ebay for 30. I've just put in a bid. If that does't come to anything, I'll maybe PM you.

Judith: he does *know* you're moving, doesn't he? Laughing
judith

he does *know* you're moving, doesn't he? Laughing

Nope. Twisted Evil
Chez

Laughing Laughing Laughing JB

I would go for electric for that size lawn - lighter and more manoeuvrable. Hover ones mulch up the grass and leave it lying around, which is fine if you mow regularly and frequently. Less so if you leave it for longer between mowings.
OTOH, if you have a box on the mower, you will need to empty it several times per mowing, which can be annoying. Depends whether you view grass clippings as a resource or not.

ETA Sadly, Rob's lawnmower collection is rather depleted now, or you could have taken one away with you!

I'd go with petrol. 1000 m2 is a fair size to mow and if you've got 50m cable runs around the place they'll just be a pain to manage. You could even try the local council tips, ours usually has a few spares and repairs type lawnmowers kicking around for resale.
judith

I've been there - I'm not 100% convinced Chez really means metres! Nick

It's what, a quarter of a football pitch at the quoted sizes.

I wouldn't want a flex behind me that long. it would weigh a ton, to start with.
marigold

Buy a decent petrol mower - it'll do the job quickly and you won't drive your neighbours mental listening to an inadequate electric mower drone for hours... Chez

I've been there - I'm not 100% convinced Chez really means metres!

I think I might have over-estimated - I based it on poultry-net lengths and I've just realised, it goes quite a long way round the edge as well as across the bottom. So, perhaps, 20m along one edge and 10 along the other might be more realistic. Embarassed
dpack

sheep?

sorry
Chez

I'm still picking the ticks of the cat from last month's 100-sheep ingress Rolling Eyes dpack

maybe not sheep then Chez

I am seriously considering Guinea Pigs Wink Cathryn

Guinea fowl. We didn't need to mow ours at all last year. onemanband

Maybe it's 'a bloke thing' but self-propelled petrol is the way to go.
I have 60m2 of lawn out the back - I have an 18" self-propelled Webb for that.
Round the front I have 20m2 of rough grass and I have a ratty Suffolk Punch for that.
Noisier than electric but done in third of the time.
One day I will have a lawn big enough to justify a ride-on Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home