Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
tahir

Laying new concrete over old

My little bruv has a problem in his garage, rain comes in under the door (front drive slopes down towards the house, once the waters in it pools as the floor slopes by almost 2" from one side to the other. He wants to level it so that even if water does come in it's not pooling, so how do you actually do this?Concrete doesn't really like sticking to concrete does it? And it'll need to be feathered away in two directions so that's not going to be stable...

Any bright ideas anyone?
Ty Gwyn

Any possibility of having a gratted drain in front of the garage doors?
Nick

Use self levelling compound. B&Q version is fine, but a builder merchant will be cheaper. He will need a good drill and a mixing paddle, and a float. It's surprisingly easy to work with, and actually, you can go considerably thicker than they suggest.
tahir

you can go considerably thicker than they suggest.

That was one of my concerns
tahir

Any possibility of having a gratted drain in front of the garage doors?

Not really but I'll look at drainage issues with him over the weekend
Nick

Does he park a vehicle on it?

I've gone to a couple of inches, in places. Do it in 2-3 layers.
Rob R

Hard to say without seeing the liklihood of it being run on by something larger in the future (or how likely it is to be replaced in the future) but I'd be more tempted to rip it up & start again. tahir

Yes, so layer, dry, layer again?
tahir

I'd be more tempted to rip it up & start again.

Me too, but he doesn't want to do that. The place is going to have to be rebuilt in the not too distant future due to subsidence, so he just wants a temporary measure that'll last a few years
Nick

Yes, so layer, dry, layer again?

Yep. No idea how it'd stand up to a vehicle. Ask on the Screwfix forum, that seems full of sensible advice.
tahir

that seems full of sensible advice.

After this many years of Downsizer I wouldn't know what to do with sensible advice Laughing
Nick

Leave the floor as it is, but let the tyres down on one side of the car. It will then be level. vegplot

Me too, but he doesn't want to do that. The place is going to have to be rebuilt in the not too distant future due to subsidence, so he just wants a temporary measure that'll last a few years

put a drain in front of the doors.
tahir

put a drain in front of the doors.

I've got some field drainage pipe so I'll talk to him about sinking that in in front of the garage
tahir

Leave the floor as it is, but let the tyres down on one side of the car. It will then be level.

What if he parks it the wrong way round by mistake?
Nick

Leave the floor as it is, but let the tyres down on one side of the car. It will then be level.

What if he parks it the wrong way round by mistake?

He will get wet feet. I cannot legislate for all eventualities.
Treacodactyl

Has he thought of getting a bike?

Or would a weather strip help or does the water have nowhere else to run?

Something like this: http://www.weatherstop.co.uk/
tahir

The weather strip is also being investigated ta Smile Rob R

Ah, right. In that case I like Nick's latest idea. Smile
vegplot

A small slit trench an inch or less wide cut with a diamond saw should be enough to divert most of the water. Hairyloon

The self levelling stuff is quite dear isn't it? If you're going that thick, then wouldn't you be better starting with concrete? If only in the deepest pools.
Nick

Probably. Very much depends on the thicknesses involved, and the hassle. onemanband

Wot HL said.

Proper job is to break up slab and start again, adding drainage at same time. However if it is temporary measure then I would ............

Roughen surface with breaker or hammer
Apply PVA adhesive
Areas over 1 inches fill with concrete made with 20mm ballast and more PVA for good measure
Areas less than 1 inches fill with a concrete/screed made with sharp sand and PVA
These 2 mixes can be placed at same time.
Then finish off with self levelling compound.
tahir

I think that's the way we're headed, thanks Smile onemanband

Don't scrimp on the cement.
1:3 cement:ballast/sharp sand
1:4 minimum
Falstaff

http://www.buildbase.co.uk/content/surfacedrainage.asp Hairyloon

I had a thought about the self-levelling stuff: If you put it down, then, where it pools significantly, scrape it back and fill the pool with sand & cement, in order to use less of the expensive stuff? Nick

I had a thought about the self-levelling stuff: If you put it down, then, where it pools significantly, scrape it back and fill the pool with sand & cement, in order to use less of the expensive stuff?

Except that you've then got the self levelling stuff wet, and starting to go off, and it must be laid on a dry surface.
Hairyloon

I had a thought about the self-levelling stuff (let's call it SLS): If you put it down, then, where it pools significantly, scrape it back and fill the pool with sand & cement, in order to use less of the expensive stuff?

Except that you've then got the self levelling stuff wet, and starting to go off, and it must be laid on a dry surface.
Use dry sand & cement then. The SLS will still flow back and fill the dip, but as the sand & cement is taking up some of the space, it will leave more SLS to fill the other dips.
Nick

Matthew 7:24-27 onemanband

Matthew 7:24-27
Shocked Luckily I'm not religious cos I'm building on sand.
alison

Matthew 7:24-27

Laughing

(I didn't even have to look it up!)
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home