Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
wellington womble

Lazy chilli

I'm starting to get lots of chillies, and I want to bottle them chopped in wine vinegar. Has anyone had a go? I'm the only one who eats them, and I often have to add them to taste at the table!

I have a pressure canner, should it be deemed necessary.
sean

We chopped 'em up and bottled them with vodka the year we had a surplus. Preserves them fine and avoids adding vinegariness to things which may not need it.
frewen

chilli vodka - I'm sure there's a market there somewhere? Laughing
sean

Ours was mostly chili with a little bit of vodka. Boy Wonder made a hazchem sticker for the jar.
OtleyLad

We put ours whole straight in the freezer. They last for at least a year and don't lose their potency. Dunked in a small bowl of hot water they defrost in seconds.
BahamaMama

Ours dry just in the kitchen and can then be chopped or ground to add a pinch at a time - they take virtually no storage space and the potency can be adjusted.
wellington womble

We chopped 'em up and bottled them with vodka the year we had a surplus. Preserves them fine and avoids adding vinegariness to things which may not need it.

That might work. Dare I open the garlic debate? Same thing, crushed in vinegar, not oil.

I did dry them one year, and choked myself on the fumes.
dpack

chilli vodka is something of an extreme even for folk who like both.

i have found a few chillis to 100ml of vodka lasts ages as it only needs a few drops in a three person dish

hot garam is a good way to preserve them as there is a minimum of vinegar involved and it improves with age ,at the mo my two pots ,hot and very hot are about 6 yrs old(and i have another 5 of each from the same batch)

ed for linky

http://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?t=69083&highlight=hot+garam
dpack

one way of doing frozen is to fine chop a batch and freeze in a (dedicated) ice cube tray then bag the cubes for storage.

i have found air dried tends to lose the flavours and just leave the hot.

iirc tahir posted a chilli pickle recipe a while back that i keep meaning to try

the big fairly mild ones pickle ok in brine with a little vinegar to make "kebab"chillis

i tend to use quite a few as dried tomato,garlic n chilli pickle
equal wts of each
5 gms sea salt per hundred grams
30ml balsamic vinegar phg
boil 2 mins
bottle
fridge for a couple of weeks to mature
keeps ages in fridge

tis nice but wont absorb a glut of chillis unless you have a lot of the other ingredients
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home