Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
jettejette

Lead lined gutter

Has anyone re-lined a lead lined gutter? I have a narrow, flat piece (but wide enough to walk along) between two apex rooves which is in dire need of attention. I can't afford to get someone in so wonder how difficult it would be to do myself.
I have looked on the internet but can't find comprehensive instructions, or where to buy the materials. Any ideas?
12Bore

Personally, I wouldn't use lead unless you are in a listed building.
Synthetic materials are as easy to use and much less likely to be nicked, our Chapel was visited three times within a month by lead thieves, we took off all the lead (only been built 4 months).
Rusticwood

If the lead needs redoing then the wood under it will probably need replacing. I would also suggest synthetic as well.
Ty Gwyn

Fibreglass valley`s are available today,

Check out available materials with roofing contractor suppliers for an idea .
Hairyloon

our Chapel was visited three times within a month by lead thieves...

What! Even with our wonderful new Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013?!
But that came came direct from the "something must be done" school of legislation: how can it not be working??
dpack

i have dressed lead into many gullies and gutters ,im with those posting above in that synthetics are cheaper,easier and have no value for rogues

that said if you want a gully that will last a few hundred years code 5 or above lead is ace stuff

folded soldered seams topped with a slatted wooden foot board to step on will last longer than most folk need and you can cast it into musket balls in case of zombie attack
jettejette

Thanks! I had heard about synthetic materials, but how environmentally friendly are they? In fact how environmentally friendly can lead be? Is there something that is ecologically sound?
Hairyloon

In fact how environmentally friendly can lead be?

It's only a problem in fishing weights as things will eat them, but there are not many animals that go chewing on your roof.
onemanband

In fact how environmentally friendly can lead be?

Very ...... according to the pigeon in the video
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home